New Purchase AX11000: Easier Device renaming and address reservation

2024-03-22 15:14:11
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

Just setting up a new AX11000 (desktop Web UI) and notice things are a little frustrating with the management UI. I tend to name all my devices so I can find them easier. I also reserve addresses for all devices (whether devices accept that is nothing I can do about) to avoid the occasional clash. I then want to turn on Access Control, whitelist all the devices I know about.

Problem 1: I can't find a way of selecting devices from the attached devices view (DHCP Client List) to reserve an address for the device without hunting for the device via Address Reservation --> Add. That seems to only show 7 pages of devices, not all the devices currently connected. To reserve a device that isn't listed but is attached it seems I have to key in the MAC and IP manually. This, to say the least, is very frustrating. Anyone got an easier way, please?

Problem 2: None of the above allows me to rename the device, that's an entirely separate screen. Again anyone know a better way of managing this process, please?

Problem 3: Access Control. When I click Add I'm only seeing the device I'm using for this administration process. Only way I can see to add devices seems to be to key in the MAC and device name manually. This alone would make me throw this device away.

Basically as you can tell I'm looking for easier management: name device, reserve address, add to whitelist. I tried Tether on mobile but that's even worse. Anyone got a solution for me please, e.g. API call via Postman, SSH shell perhaps?

Thanks all

Options
5 Reply
Re:New Purchase AX11000: Easier Device renaming and address reservation
2024-03-22 16:08:11

Problem 3: Black list device list now appearing after numerous reboots. But I add a device, go to add another and the previously added device is in the device list. Ugh!! I thought Netgear router software was bad but usability here is awful.

New Problem 4: Port forwarding is not working. Anyone know if this is a reported problem on firmware version 2.1.6 Build 20230907 rel.65510(4555)?

If there is no other way of managing this device that makes things easy it's going back to the shop for a refund.

Options
2024-03-23 11:59:52

Problem 1: OK reservations being done manually. Still only 7 pages limit is shown, added devices remain in the list. Very poor usability design.

Problem 2: Bit the bullet and renamed devices. Had to look up by MAC addresses. 

Problem 3: I suppose turning Access Control off and on again is a way to go. 

Problem 4: Port forwarding still not working. Will come back to this.

Options
2024-03-24 09:29:23

Final account and final request for help:

All set up although usability is still awful. Port forwarding somehow started working. Reboot number 10 might have been the lucky one.

It seems though the whitelisting is limited making access control pointless. I need to automatically block new devices when they connect, not connect and then be blacklisted. Am I missing something?

Options
2024-03-25 08:48:44

@RalfyFM 

Hi, we will record your feedback and report to related engineers for further testing.

Regarding the access control feature, if you are using whitelist, only the devices in the whitelist will be able to connect the router, any new client devices will not connect by default unless you add it to the whitelist. If there is any further issue with the access control, please let us know more details and screenshot of your settings.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-03-25 08:57:50

@Sunshine Thanks for replying. I have actually raised a ticket about the address reservation and whitelist limit. It seems the whitelist limit is 64 devices which in a modern smart home is a very small amount. I guess raising the limit increases the possibility of the router slowing down. The old Netgear one, which I'm replacing, did slow down but only in terms of the management UI, not the routing of devices. Limits need to be removed. By all means have warnings for end users and then they can take the risk.

Currently I have had to turn off access control and not use address reservation because of these limits. This makes management of the router less than desirable and actually less secure. I'm pushing back on the tickets to see if the limits can be removed.If not then I might have to look into another router, although I'm going to hate that because 3 days I've spent on the change over and things are still less than stable for most devices. 

Regards

Options