Option to disable wifi backhaul

2024-03-24 13:50:12
Tags: #Backhaul
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a mesh made up of 2 m5 deco units. The shape of my apartment means that the WiFi reception between the 2 units is enough to connect, but actual bandwidth is spotty at best. But that's fine because I have an ethernet cable I can use instead.

Occasionally, the one of the switches between the two decos may go down (firmware upgrade, power cycle, whatever) and when this happens, the decos automatically try to switch to wifi mesh instead. Then the switch comes back up and the deco doesn't switch back to ethernet back haul, so now instead of 2.5g I've got 1 bar wifi

Options
3 Reply
Re:Option to disable wifi backhaul
2024-03-25 06:03:00

@Dan-Forever 

Hi, May I know the model number of the network switch here?

I don't think disabling WiFi Backhaul is a proper solution for the current issue. You can see here Wi-Fi Backhaul is more like a backup connection and it only activates when the Ethernet Backhaul fails to be created.

By the way, what is the operation mode of the Deco M5?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP 
I appreciate that "Wifi backhaul is more like a backup", but my problem is that it's unable to figure out that ethernet is back up :(

The M5s are in AP mode

So currently the primary switch is a Ubiquiti "usw enterprise 8 poe" (But in the past it was an unmanaged tp-link 2.5g of some description).
The primary M5 is connected directly to this switch (so router -> switch -> M5), they're in the same cupboard.

The second M5 is connected to an unmanaged qnap 2.5g switch (router -> Ubiquiti -> qnap -> M5), in another room.

I do wonder if loopback detection is the reason we can't switch back to ethernet? The switches disable/ignore the ethernet port because it's detected as a duplicate of the wifi route? (My knowledge of loopback detection begins and ends with it's purpose, but it makes logical sense to me, especially if loopback detection and wifi backhaul are handled by different devices that don't coordinate)

Options
a week ago

@Dan-Forever 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

The suspicion "loopback detection is the reason we can't switch back to Ethernet Backhaul" is plausible. There was a few feedback before.

However, the previous reply stands and so far, there hasn't been a plan to disable WiFi Backhaul on Deco. The engineers might need to work harder to find another way to improve this issue. 

I noticed your Model is M5 which supports ECO mode/Wi-Fi schedule. You could temporarily turn off WiFi under ECO mode which will turn both Wi-Fi signals and Wi-Fi Backhaul.It might be a short-term remedy for the current problem.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 67

Replies: 3

Voters 1

Tags

Backhaul