Set a password to a powerline network

2024-03-24 20:32:35 - last edited 2024-03-28 02:14:55
Model: TL-PA7017P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am using two powerline adapters (TL-PA7017P KIT) and I have created a network using the pair button. I would like to know if it would be possible to protect my powerline network with a password in order to avoid any other adapter to connect to the same network in any way (not even through the pair button). I would also like to ask if I could set a password to avoid any other device with the tpPLC utility installed to be able to connect to my powerline network. Thank you very much for your help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Set a password to a powerline network-Solution
2024-03-28 02:14:45 - last edited 2024-03-28 02:14:55

@DavG 

Hello, I'd like to assure you that there is indeed a powerline network name for our devices. When two devices are successfully paired, they generate a random and confidential powerline network name, which ensures a high level of security. If you prefer not to use the pair button, you can manually set the same powerline network name for different powerline adapters to pair them.

Here is how you can set a new powerline network name using the tpPLC Utility: How to set a new powerline network name using tpPLC Utility

Please note that there are three methods available to pair TP-Link powerline adapters. In addition to using the pair button or manually setting the same powerline network name, you can also add an extra powerline device by using the powerline key: How to add an extra Powerline adapter to the existing Powerline network by adding the powerline key on tpPLC Utility

Regardless of the pairing method you choose, it is important to have either the powerline network name, powerline key, or access to the pair button. Additionally, the powerline adapters need to be plugged into the same circuit for proper functionality. So please don't worry about the security.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Set a password to a powerline network
2024-03-24 23:08:25

@DavG 

Hi,

I'm afraid both things are not possible.

Options
2024-03-25 10:57:48

@woozle  Thank you very much for your answer. It is a pity. I think that it would be a very interesting option.

Options
Re:Set a password to a powerline network-Solution
2024-03-28 02:14:45 - last edited 2024-03-28 02:14:55

@DavG 

Hello, I'd like to assure you that there is indeed a powerline network name for our devices. When two devices are successfully paired, they generate a random and confidential powerline network name, which ensures a high level of security. If you prefer not to use the pair button, you can manually set the same powerline network name for different powerline adapters to pair them.

Here is how you can set a new powerline network name using the tpPLC Utility: How to set a new powerline network name using tpPLC Utility

Please note that there are three methods available to pair TP-Link powerline adapters. In addition to using the pair button or manually setting the same powerline network name, you can also add an extra powerline device by using the powerline key: How to add an extra Powerline adapter to the existing Powerline network by adding the powerline key on tpPLC Utility

Regardless of the pairing method you choose, it is important to have either the powerline network name, powerline key, or access to the pair button. Additionally, the powerline adapters need to be plugged into the same circuit for proper functionality. So please don't worry about the security.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-28 10:47:41

@Sunshine 

Thank you very much for your help and the information. My problem is that there is a third powerline device at home which is out of my reach and I would like it not to be able to connect to my powerline network. I guess that, even if I change manually the name of the network, this third device could connect to it through the pair button, could it? I have removed this third device from my network, but my son creates a new powerline network restoring the three devices to the default settings and pairing them again when I am not at home. Any help in this matter would be very welcome.

Options
2024-03-29 01:40:58

@DavG 

You are correct, pair button can be still used to pair or add an extra powerline adapter even though you set a new powerline network name manually.

Since your son can reach the existing powerline device and is even able to reset them to the factory defaults, I am afraid there isn't a solution.

Options
2024-03-29 12:56:00

@Sunshine 

Thank you very much for your answer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 190

Replies: 6

Related Articles