Guest Network Security

Guest Network Security

Guest Network Security
Guest Network Security
3 weeks ago
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: Latest

I have a Deco mesh configured with the guest network enabled, and the password is 10 chars but fairly simple. The Deco app keeps warning me that this is a security risk.

Isn't the guest network logically isolated?  Unless the Deco is designed badly, no one should be able to get into the router config from the guest network surely?  So why is this a security risk? Do TP-Link not believe they have an effective firewall between the guest network and the router / the main network?  I appreciate that you can never be 100% confident without a physical isolation, but even in corporate environments you tend to have a level of trust in logical seperation?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Guest Network Security
3 weeks ago

@SimonGA 

Nice to see you again.

The Guest network is isolated from the main network.

The security notification under Network Scan is more of an excessive warning. As long as the Guest network is enabled, you will get this warning and are advised to turn off the guest network,  which has been reported several times before.

The request to add an option to either set a notification period(such as ignore this warning in the next week/month) or turn off the guest warning has been forwarded to the engineers for future enhancement.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Guest Network Security
3 weeks ago

Thank you @David-TP .  That makes sense. It would be good to change it as it may confuse people who don't have much IT knowledge. As you of course know, it's far better for most people to have a simple guest network than to give out the password to their main network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 86

Replies: 2

Related Articles