Tp-Link Axe 75 and Quest3

3 weeks ago
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.9 Build 20231115 rel.37295(4341)

Hi all,

I recently purchased a TP-Link Axe75 so I could stream PC games to my Quest3 via Virtual Desktop. While I can achieve a 2401 Mbps connection, it's very unstable. Anytime i turn away from the router and not directly facing, my networking latency spikes and framerate drops. If i then turn to face the router, everything settles. I need to be standing within several feet from the router as well with no obstructions. So this isn't very useful for VR gaming.  I have not made many changes in the settings.  

I have a cable modem that connects to the TP-Link. My computer is wired to the router.  I have a a Unifi Access Point wired to the router as well that extends the range to the back room of our apartment. I haven't made any custom changes to the router. The issue happens on both 6e and 5ghz. There doesn't appear to be any other 6e devices connected in my area although I do live downtown in an apartment with quite a few devices in the area on 5g/2.5g.

Any help would be awesome!  I love how simple it was to setup this router, but if i can't seem to stabilize this I'll need to take it back and get a different router.

Much appreciated, Bob

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tp-Link Axe 75 and Quest3
3 weeks ago
Options
a week ago

@BobTelfer 

I'm having exactly the same problem as you.  If I put my head down away from the router the bitrate falls off a cliff.  Lift my head or turn towards the router the problem resolves.  Any solutions yet, or am I returning this thing?

Options
a week ago

@Sunshine 

I am now on V.65 and still exact same problem as Bob.  I'm seeing alot of chatter around the web going back to V.59 about this problem.  You must have some additional advice...

Options
a week ago

@Geoff_Quester 

The problem has improved for me but not entirely gone. I can play Skyrim VR at a full 120fps with a Ryzen 7 5800x3d and 4070 Super with occasional stuttering even when turned away from the router. It does frequently still glitch out, but not nearly what it used to.  Not sure if V64 had an impact or the many tweaks I kept trying to stabilize it. havne't updated to v65 yet. Crossing my fingers it doesn't make it worse ;-)

What I would recommend (if you haven't already done this before) is to shut absolutely every Wi-Fi / Bluetooth device you've got off and ONLY run your Wi-fi 6. Shut off the 2.4/5ghz band as well.  Make sure your router is moved away from anything else and is in an open space, preferably a little higher up on a shelf with the antennas pointing down and towards your gameplay space. Only have your PC cabled to the router and your Quest 3 connected to it on Wi-Fi 6.  Stand close the router while playing.

Fire up a game and make sure you are connected to it at 2401 Mbps.  If you turn away from the router, does it fluctuate wildly?  If it does, you've still go the problem. If it kinda of does but it stabilizes, then you've got something closer to what I experience.

If that doesn't work you could try switching back to the 5Ghz AC mode and not AX and see if that works.

Final option would be to cable up entirely until they fix this.

Options
Thursday

@BobTelfer 

Thanks for replying with some good advice Bob.  I appreciate your time.

I ended up returning the Axe75 because when I turn away from the router the image stutters, but when I look down and drop my head thebitrate nosedives.  When I raise my head and turn towards thee router everything recovers.

Goodluck!

Options