Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3

Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3

2023-10-24 13:33:51 - last edited 2024-01-03 20:07:50
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20230718 rel.47014(4555)

So many are experiencing problems with communications between TP-Link AX routers and Quest 3

At 5Ghz the connection at close range fluxuates from 480 to 1080 Mbps. (On Quest 2 it's stable at 1200)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSBE57U8Sdk&t=75s

At 6Ghz the connection at close range fluxuates from 1440 to 1900 Mbps.. but will occationaly dipp down to 320 Mbps making it unusable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KibZGAbJ1Ac

As a comparison a Linksys Hydra Pro 6E Tri‑Band is good and stable at 2400 Mbps,

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/17cy1yg/performance_metrics_for_the_all_in_quest_3/

Now this issue has been reported to Meta and they are working on their end on a fix, but i suspect that you both have to work together to find a solution here and maybe have a firmware fix both ways.

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Unstable-wifi-covarage-with-Quest-3/td-p/1090698

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3 -Solution
2024-01-03 19:36:15 - last edited 2024-01-03 20:07:50

Hi. Let me try to give a quick summery.

Since the launch of the Quest 3, numerous users have encountered difficulties with their Wi-Fi connections. A notable bug affects certain mid-range AX and AXE routers, such as TP-Link's AXE75, leading to significant packet losses and varying negotiation rates. Consequently, connection speeds fluctuate between 480 and 1921 Mbps, occasionally reaching 2161 Mbps but rarely achieving the full 2401 Mbps speed.

In contrast, the Quest 2 maintains a stable 1200 Mbps on 5GHz dedicated networks. However, on release, the Quest 3 struggled to reach 720 Mbps, with speed fluctuations occurring every other second.

Meta was promptly notified of this issue on launch day and has been working on resolving it through build updates. Versions v.57 to v.60 have seen a dramatic reduction in negotiation rates, making wireless VR "usable" under certain conditions, particularly when in close proximity to the router and within the line of sight. Nevertheless, users still report random speed reductions to unusable levels (below 740 Mbps), even at close range, and some cannot see or connect to their 6GHz network at all.

TP-Link has been diligently working on resolving the issue since the initial launch. Unfortunately, their latest update indicates that they couldn't make a breakthrough on their end, and they believe the problem persists on the client side.

They've conducted thorough tests with various chipsets, including MTK, BCM, and QCA routers, and it seems these routers are experiencing similar issues. Their focus shifted to Meta software updates, and their most recent test with the Quest3 V60 suggests that while the negotiation rate still varies, the occasional streaming lag seems to have disappeared.

A glance at community posts (https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Known-Isssue-Unstable-wifi-covarage-with-Quest-3-on-some-Router/td-p/1090698) reveals that TP-Link is not the only affected brand; users with Asus and other AX and AXE routers also face similar challenges. The root cause seems to be linked to either Meta or Qualcomm. Users have noted similar issues with the Google Pixel 7, leading to speculation about problems with the XR2 Gen2/Snapdragon 8 Gen2 drivers. So in other words it's in Meta and Qualcomm's hands at the moment.

Please go to Meta's forum and post your information as per Metas instructions:

"December 14th Update from @MetaQuestSupport 

Hey everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I heard back from our engineering team. It looks like there might've been some changes with the recent v60 update. I recommend checking your headset to make sure that it is updated to the latest version, and then checking your Wi-Fi connection with your headset. If you're still having trouble after updating your headset, please let me know the below information and I'll pass it along to our engineering team so this can be looked into further.

1. Router make and model.

2. Router firmware.

3. Full Headset version. (59.0.0.##) Go to Settings > System > Software Update"

You can also make a video grab of your issue and send it to Meta over the "report a problem" option in the headset.

For video references on the issue, a playlist in chronological order is available here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjn_5lkVKEO5DMyTvY9TQhLMz2GjPQZ-u&si=EA6jBE8xa4KJ-Cps

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3
2023-10-25 06:54:22

@Mr_Tee 

Hi, thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

May I know if you've tried to change the 5GHz and 6GHz WiFi channel? and how many client devices are usually connected to the router?

In addition, except for the TP-Link router, is there any range extender or access point in the same network?

Options
Re:Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3
2023-10-25 07:23:02

@Sunshine If you watch my videos you'll se that i have tried this dedicated as an AP.

I've tried both 5G and 6G...

Nothing else is using 6G thats dedicated to the Quest

(On quest 2 5G works perfectly but on Quest 3 this is the results:)

Routers tested (All updated to newest firmware tested at close range)

TP-Link Archer AX50 Wifi6  3000 Mbps (Non dedicated 5Ghz 320-625 Mbps)

TP-Link RE505X WiFi 6 1500 Mbps (Dedicated AP 5Ghz - 625-1080 Mbps)

TP-Link RE705X WiFi 6 3000 Mbps (Dedicated AP - 720-1200 Mbps)

TP-Link AXE5400 Archer AXE75 Wifi6e 5400 Mbps  (current - Dedicated 6Ghz 1700-2400 Mbps but will periodicly dip to 320 Mbps)

Options
2023-10-25 07:50:17 - last edited 2023-10-25 07:50:44

@Sunshine My current setup now is:

TP-Link AXE5400 Archer AXE75 Wifi6e 5400 Mbps 

7 wired clients over TP-Link hub all working perfectly

SmartConnect 2.4 and 5 Ghz (7 - 2.4 clients and 7 - 5Ghz clients, all working perfectly) 

6Ghz dedicated to Quest 3 (1700-2400 Mbps but will periodicly dip to 320 Mbps)

TP-Link RE505X WiFi 6 1500 Mbps connected as an wired Accsess point with a singe 5G nett for my Quest 2 (Works perfectly at 1200 Mbps)

Options
2023-10-26 01:46:57

@Mr_Tee 

Hi, thank you very much for the reply.

We would like to escalate your case to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Please let the community know if there is any update on this issue, thanks in advance!

Options
2023-10-26 10:52:02

@Sunshine thank you.

I got the ticket. I just replied to sender. Was that right?

Options
2023-10-26 11:59:45

@Mr_Tee 

Yes, that is correct, please wait for the reply from our senior engineer.

Options
2023-10-31 10:07:50

Just to update forum readers on the process

First of all I'd like to say that i am amazed and pleased at the amount of support and effort that has been shown from TP-link on this issue so fare.

Here is a redacted version of my conversation with TP engineers

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 at 08:09, TP-Link Support wrote:

Dear Customer,

I'm from TP-Link support, and I also have a Quest2 as VR headset, sometimes I also use the Virtual Desktop or Airlink to streaming PC VR game in that case.We highly focus on the potential compatibility issue with the new main stream VR headset which support 6GHz and 160Mhz.We've also applied to buy the Quest3 back for testing, but we didn't get it yet, it might need one month to wait for the Amazon to send us the product back to Shenzhen.

Then for your issue, we would like to provide remote assistance to double-check the Router status when it's during the Streaming process. We are in GMT+8 time zone and work from 9am-6pm in weekdays. Please tell me which time zone you are in and when you are available.  Thanks a lot for your valued feedback and understanding

Best Wishes

Senior Technical SupportTP-Link Corporation Ltd.

I replied

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 at 11:59, Thomas wrote:
Thank you for reaching out. It's great that you'll get a Quest 3 to test. Frankly speaking Meta should have sent you one months ago to ensure compatibility.
As per now my issue is thankfully not unik according to Meta forums and my YouTube comments.
The Quest 2 works absolutely brilliantly with TP-link hardware, that is why I have been swearing by the brand for years now. At 5Ghz it's super stable at 1200 Mbps over a dedicated AP.

But Quest 3 uses Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 with Wi-Fi 6E enabled (region permitting). There the signal fluxes between 320 and 890 Mbps on 5Ghz. And over 6Ghz it fluxes between 1200 and 1900 Mbps, with Occasional drops down to 320 Mbps. (To be fair I suspect the issue lies with Meta Quest 3's firmware but it would be great if you could identify the problem and then communicate with Meta.)

This is though NOT dependent on the connection to the computer because you can see the connection issues in the settings of the headset before connecting to Virtual Desktop og Airlink. So the problem lies between the Headsets' communication with the wireless router. 

Here is a video demontrating the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFrl9rTJH8E 

So the issue is even prominent without a PC/MAC Computer presen. I am willing to meet over videolink and share a screen. I can though give you remote access to my Router and can be present during your testing.

Best wishes

Thomas

Today Him along with his Head of RD had a 2 hour remote session testing the Routers communication with the headset...

Video explaining the sesion here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqi-ieY6aq4: 

Here is what they found... 

Hi there,

We just managed to change the wireless negotiation rate and try to contrast with turning off the potential related wifi 6e function like MU-MIMO or txbf, and it seems not helped a lot.

It's the case with Quest3's negotiation MCS. It only reaches MCS7 when receiving signals from the router, then for sending signals, it reaches MCS5 only.
After trying to change channel and adjust wireless function, it still only randomly gets MCS9 negotiation, even in a short distance, at which it should have full speed and MCS 11 without any issue.

So what we can push from our side next is that our RD team will manage to communicate together to see if we have more methods to change the wireless parameter from the router side for the Quest3 later, then they will come back later if they have more clue about it.

Then we also need to check with the Meta like you already did. You can add my email to the contact with Meta/Oculus. I will help check what they are replying to and tell them what we found here.

From what we got here, either it's the Quest3's wireless adapter unstable, or it's the case that the quest3 is having compatibility issues with the AXE75's BCM wireless chipset .

The BCM wireless chipset is the most common one in the world for routers, and the one used in AXE75 is also used with a lot of different routers... So far we've tested with phones like Samsung S21U, S22U, S23U, Oppo find, xiaomi 13, for the phone which support 6G, they are working fine with the AXE75 according to our test.

The Quest3 are using XR2 Gen2, which is basically the Snapdragon 8 Gen2, they should be all using the Qualcomm FastConnect wireless chipset. We will also try to check deeper to see if we can find out which wireless chipset that they are using on the Quest3,so we can find a similar one for repeating first. and contrast the wireless negotiation status to see if we can find further clues.

BTW, if our RD got a new idea about the quest3's negotiation rate, we will need to have remote access again to double check it. and I will let you know by email.
 so that should be all for today and what we got, and what we are going to do next

have a nice day, gonna collect the wireless log first, then I will disconnect from anydesk later, then share them to our RD team for checking

To be clear i am still running version 57 as 59 still has not been pushed to my unit. 

But i hope now that Meta and TP can start a repore and looking forward to se what they find out and hoping for a fix. 

I'll continue to update here if my community finds other clues or the issue is fixed. 

Options
2023-11-01 02:19:27

@Mr_Tee 

Hi, thank you very much for the update, hope the senior engineer and RD team find the solution as soon as possible, please let the community know once there is further update.

Options
2024-01-03 16:32:58

@Mr_Tee 

Hi!

I've got the same issue

Archer AX53 and Meta Quest 3

AirLink established but laggy and unplayble 

I suppose its not normal

Pls help

Options
2024-01-03 18:29:51

@Mr_Tee 

BTW SteamLink  via WiFi works fine

Only AirLink is laggy

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2803

Replies: 11

Related Articles