Deco X50-5G freezes periodically

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hi

One month ago I have bought 2 Deco X50-5G units, one for myself, one for my Sister. Both units are working as main deco unit in the home in WIFI Router mode with ethernet as WAN. Both have enabled 4G/5G backup (at my location it is working on LTE only). For backup I have enabled ping detection as missing internet detection mechanism because default detection was not working properly (when I have disconnected cable from internet supplier modem my deco was not able to detect it properly). But with ping it was fine. However, this is not the reason why I am writing here.

After something time I have discovered during Signal/WhatsApp voice conversation that there are moments that I cannot hear other person. I tried to analyze it. I have run ping on my linux computer for few hours on deco wifi.

My observations are that my deco (my Sister's deco also) freezes for ~5-15 seconds, on all interfaces (wifi as well as ethernet) then its ping internet loss detection mechanism detects missing internet, then deco switches to LTE backup and then after few seconds it comes back to WAN connection. This freeze happens ~10-30 times per day (sometime distance between these freezes is ~20 minutes, sometime more than hour). I thought it is a problem with my internet supplier modem so I have run ping directly on it, with still working deco (PC and X50-5G connected parallel via Omada TL-ER-605 (I had one available so I simply used it)). PC showed no interruption in ping running on it for few hours whilest on X50-5G wifi I have observed few freezes in that time.

Did anyone observe similar issue? How to deal with it?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco X50-5G freezes periodically
2 weeks ago

@piotreklc60 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

I don't recall any users have mentioned this issue before.

When you run the diagnostic, is the network topology like:

ISP modem---TL-ER605---Deco X50-5G(router mode with 4G/5G backup)--<Wi-Fi>--Linux Computer#1

\----PC#2

When you constantly ping the WAN IP on ER605 for example, there are a few freezes(from 5-15 seconds to 20~60mints; ~10-30 times per day) on  Linux Computer#1, but not on PC#2.

Have you been able to observe the non-voice conversation overlaps with the ping freezes/time-outs?

Did it make a difference to the ping diagnostic if we temporarily turned off the 4G/5G Backup?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

Hi David

Thank you for your reply. Here are answers for your questions:

When you run the diagnostic, is the network topology like:

ISP modem---TL-ER605---Deco X50-5G(router mode with 4G/5G backup)--<Wi-Fi>--Linux Computer#1

\----PC#2

Yes, this is exactly the topology of my test environment

When you constantly ping the WAN IP on ER605 for example, there are a few freezes(from 5-15 seconds to 20~60mints; ~10-30 times per day) on  Linux Computer#1, but not on PC#2.

Correct. There are freezes on Computer#1 but not on PC#2.

Have you been able to observe the non-voice conversation overlaps with the ping freezes/time-outs?

Yes, the problem is on any device with any type of service. When I am working from home, my company PC (dell with Windows) shows notifications that VPN connection was lost -> VPN connection has been restored. For that moment when X50-5G freezes I am not able to browse internet / speak through Teams, etc. My Samsung Galaxy S20 also shows that internet is unavailable under home's wifi and automatically switches to LTE. My Google Nest Hub also shows popup that internet connection has been lost. Generally, in that moments, every device connected to home network is unavailable to reach internet.

Did it make a difference to the ping diagnostic if we temporarily turned off the 4G/5G Backup?

Yes, it made difference. When I turned OFF 4G/5G backup and run ping on my laptop working under home's wifi for more than 12 hours there was no single freeze.

Best Regards

Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

Hi David

Do you have any suggestions how to procedury with this issue? What could be wrong? Maybe some more detailed tests I can make?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Best Regsrds

Options
a week ago
I am having a similar issue with my x55. It will freeze and I will have to unplug the power to reset or I login and see that the config has been rolled back to a previous version of my network or change my "main". I am fed up with the problems
Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

One more information - freeze happens on all interfaces. WIFI as well as Ethernet. My Sister has TV connected directly to X50-5G over ethernet. Their TV shows during that freezes notifications like "ethernet cable has been disconnected" -> "ethernet cable has been connected".

Options
a week ago

@piotreklc60 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I'm afraid I don't have any more suggestions so I'd like to forward your case to the senior engineer for further assistance.

Please check whether you can receive my email later.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 256

Replies: 6

Related Articles