Disable DHCPv6 on VR600

Disable DHCPv6 on VR600
Disable DHCPv6 on VR600
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Tags: #DHCP
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Version:0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 210318 Beta.38701n

After a long time of trying to figure out why my computers are from time to time using my Archer VR600 router as a DNS server I have found out that these seems to be no way of turning off DHCPv6 on this router, apart from disabling IPv6 altogether.

I had thought that the option on the Advanced > Network > LAN Settings > IPv6 between RADVD and DCHPv6 Server allowed me to decide which method to use to distribute addresses but it seems it just switches between the settings for both.  I turned off RDNSS on the RADVD page so that the router would no longer tell my clients to use it through Router Advertisments, but runnning Wireshark just now I noticed that the router is responding to DHCPv6 requests and giving its own address as the DNS recursive name server.  I don't want this as I have a separate DNS server I want to use.  Both servers are responding to DHCPv6 requests, and this results in a race condition where sometimes a setting is picked up from my desired DNS server and sometimes from this router.

Is there some hidden or obscure way to either disable the DHCPv6 server completely, or stop it announcing itself as a DNS server?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Disable DHCPv6 on VR600
2 weeks ago

@dunxd 

Hi, it does not support to turn off DHCPv6 on this router. Currently, when Archer VR600 V2 is used as a DHCPv6 server, it can only issue its own IPv6 address as a DNS server. 

So it is recommended to try manually setting the IPv6 DNS server on your PC.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Marvin_S that works fine for computers that will never be used on another network but totally hopeless for smartphones and laptops.

I managed to resolve this since I have switches that can block the DHCPv6 from all but certain addresses. I should not

have to treat my router as a rogue device, but there we are.

If IPv6 is enabled for the VR600 device so is DHCPv6 and it can't be configured. I would not recommend turning on IPv6 on this device without fully understanding the limitations and planning workarounds for them.

Options
2 weeks ago

@dunxd 

Thanks for your update. Yes, only IPv4 has the DHCP enabled/ disabled option on the Archer VR600, as for as I know.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 115

Replies: 3

Tags

DHCP
Related Articles