ER605 v.2 L2TP bridge

ER605 v.2 L2TP bridge
ER605 v.2 L2TP bridge
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4

Hello,

searched this forum but couldn't find a decisive answer. 

I am trying to set up a VPN server on the router that would allow me to access the home network from my computers when I am away (traveling). I've managed to get L2TP over IPsec to work. I can connect to the router, the internet via the VPN works as does accessing LAN resources via IP addresses. However, I can't use SMB, network discovery, multicast services. Also, strangely while connected via VPN I can't access the router's page (at 192.168.1.1) unless I enable remote management. The last thing leads me to believe that while the VPN connection is working the connected laptop is not seen as on the LAN. 

Is it all possible to set up L2TP in the way I'd like? What would the settings be? I am a newbie to the world of VPNs etc.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER605 v.2 L2TP bridge-Solution

Hi @Mateysz 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No strange. Let me explain them below.

Mateysz wrote

Hello,

I am trying to set up a VPN server on the router that would allow me to access the home network from my computers when I am away (traveling). I've managed to get L2TP over IPsec to work. I can connect to the router, the internet via the VPN works as does accessing LAN resources via IP addresses. However, I can't use SMB, network discovery, multicast services.

1. The VPN does not forward multicast over it. Answered on the forum before. It is not a malfunction in the mDNS or VPN.

The access is still available. You should be able to access the SMB and RDP on your computer.

The focus should be on the Windows Firewall on your computer on the server site.

Mateysz wrote

Hello,

Also, strangely while connected via VPN I can't access the router's page (at 192.168.1.1) unless I enable remote management. The last thing leads me to believe that while the VPN connection is working the connected laptop is not seen as on the LAN. 

Is it all possible to set up L2TP in the way I'd like? What would the settings be? I am a newbie to the world of VPNs etc.

2. Because your IP is not the LAN 192.168.1.1/24. It is a virtual IP address for a VPN. It does not allow you to access it. You can enable remote management and set the virtual IP range into the allowed subnet.

On the official site, there are some guides about the VPN. You might take a look at them. That would be helpful for your learning about the VPN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Hi @Mateysz 

Mateysz wrote

@Clive_A Thanks, all clear. So there is no way to make multicast work through an L2TP tunnel?

If I want to enable remote management to be able to access the router page from the VPN connection, what should the subnet be? I tried 192.168.1.0/24 but it doesn't work (all other websites and sites on the LAN are accessible via VPN but not the router), My router adress on the LAN is 192.168.1.1

Still, it should be GRE. L2TP was originally invented for P2P. This is not possible from the protocol.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply

Hi @Mateysz 

No strange. Let me explain them below.

Mateysz wrote

Hello,

I am trying to set up a VPN server on the router that would allow me to access the home network from my computers when I am away (traveling). I've managed to get L2TP over IPsec to work. I can connect to the router, the internet via the VPN works as does accessing LAN resources via IP addresses. However, I can't use SMB, network discovery, multicast services.

1. The VPN does not forward multicast over it. Answered on the forum before. It is not a malfunction in the mDNS or VPN.

The access is still available. You should be able to access the SMB and RDP on your computer.

The focus should be on the Windows Firewall on your computer on the server site.

Mateysz wrote

Hello,

Also, strangely while connected via VPN I can't access the router's page (at 192.168.1.1) unless I enable remote management. The last thing leads me to believe that while the VPN connection is working the connected laptop is not seen as on the LAN. 

2. Because your IP is not the LAN 192.168.1.1/24. It is a virtual IP address for a VPN. It does not allow you to access it. You can enable remote management and set the virtual IP range into the allowed subnet.

On the official site, there are some guides about the VPN. You might take a look at them. That would be helpful for your learning about the VPN.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 v.2 L2TP bridge
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A Thanks, all clear. So there is no way to make multicast work through an L2TP tunnel?

If I want to enable remote management to be able to access the router page from the VPN connection, what should the subnet be? I tried 192.168.1.0/24 but it doesn't work (all other websites and sites on the LAN are accessible via VPN but not the router), My router adress on the LAN is 192.168.1.1

Options

Hi @Mateysz 

Mateysz wrote

Still, it should be GRE. L2TP was originally invented for P2P. This is not possible from the protocol.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 155

Replies: 3

Related Articles