Access mapped network drive using openVPN on Router

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

I have a desktop at home that I want to access using the OpenVPN on my router.

I've setup OpenVPN and can remote desktop to my desktop, but I am not able to map a network drive over the VPN using the IP of the desktop. When connected directly to my home network I am able to connect to this network drive.

I already tried looking for solutions on the internet, but haven't found anything that worked yet.

Things I have tried:

Putting the network on private.

Changing some inbound firewall rules.

Trying to ping the computers from each other results in no responds from both sides. I can ping the router, so that suggested to me an issue with the firewall. Setting the firewall rule for the public profile on the laptop "File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)" to enabled results in the computer on the local home network being able to ping the laptop with the vpn, but not the other way around, also not after enabling this setting on the computer at home. 

Using wireshark on the home computer I can see that the echo requests are reaching the computer, but no responds can be found. I guess this implies that either the firewall is blocking the incoming messages (don't know if wireshark captures messages before the firewall or not) and no return message is send or for some reason the computer is not able to send a respons back, but is able to ping the laptop. Or doesn't the computer send a response at all if it knows it won't reach it's destination?

Is there a way to make the communication through the VPN part of the private firewall profile? Or is this a security risk?

And what could be a cause for the ping not going both ways?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now made sure my OpenVPN connection is part of the private firewall profile. Also pinging both ways is working, this was indeed a firewall issue. The final hurdle has yet to be overcome. It has to be the firewall settings, as (only temporaraly) disabling the firewall for the private profile fixes the issue and I can access the mapped network drive. But I don't know what rule is causing the problem.

A bit later and I figured out a solution, enabling the firewall rule Netlogon Service (NP-In) fixed the problem. I don't know if this leads to any security threads, but atleast it is working now.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Access mapped network drive using openVPN on Router-Solution

@Jop812 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback and update, glad to hear that you've solved the problem.

For any others with similar issues, you could also refer to this troubleshooting: Why can’t I access or discover certain devices over VPN

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Access mapped network drive using openVPN on Router-Solution

@Jop812 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback and update, glad to hear that you've solved the problem.

For any others with similar issues, you could also refer to this troubleshooting: Why can’t I access or discover certain devices over VPN

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 127

Replies: 1

Related Articles