Setting up an Easy Mesh with RE705X and Archer VX1800v

a week ago
Model: RE705X  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I am new to this so I need a step by step to help me understand!

I have an Archer VX1800v modem router and I want to set up a easymesh with the RE705X range extender. 

Every time I pair the devices it always gives the extender the same ssid but with (ssid)_EXT.

How do i set up a mesh as the ssid's surely need to be the same in order for seamless connection?

I know I can change this manually, but how do i know my device is connecting to the extender when I am near it if I manually match the ssid's?

I have enabled easymesh on both the router and the extender.

Am I also correct in thinking that if the range extender is used as a mesh, the signal strength will not increase, where as using it as a repeater/extender, the signal strength will increase?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Setting up an Easy Mesh with RE705X and Archer VX1800v
a week ago

@Biffab 

Hi,

I remember someone else had similar issues before when he combined the wireless bands of the ISP router.

On certain TP-Link routers made for distribution by ISPs this is called something like "Band Steering", while on regular retail routers it's called "Smart Connect".

Apparently these two are not compatible with each other.

In case your VX1800v has this "Band Steering" option and it is currently enabled, then disable it and test again.

Whether the RE705X is used as wireless Mesh node or as wireless repeater/extender makes no difference with regards to signal strength. Just the (software) protocols used are different.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Biffab 

Thanks for the advice. I have tried that but It gives me a the second ssid_5G

When it is set as ssid_EXT and I test the strength of the signal next to the extender, the signal strength is 99% as you would expect.

If I change the ssid to match the original router ssid and stand next to the extender, the signal strength drops to 60% which is the same as it would be if there was no extender at all.

Am I looking at this all wrong as I doesnt make sense?

I am on Sky so not sure if that makes a difference?

Options
a week ago

@Biffab 

Turning off Band Steering separates the bands into two separate SSID. That's how it is.

If the Wi-Fi network(s) of the RE705X still have the "_EXT" ending, then it means EasyMesh is still not working. In this case it also doesn't help if you manually change the SSIDs to match the router's SSIDs.

I think you should give it one more try by using the WPS button method to connect the RE705X to the VX1800v and see if that craetes an EasyMesh network.

To do that I recommend you reset the RE705X via the small "Reset" button (small hole next to the WPS button). After that wait a moment to let the RE705X boot up, then press the WPS button of the VX1800v (I think the "Power" LED should start flashing) and then press the WPS button of the RE705X, in that order.

Options
a week ago

@Biffab 

Thanks again for the advice.

I ahve done this procedure many times now with the same result, to a point where I am doubting myself!

I have left it as _EXT for now as this does make a difference up in the loft, but the whole idea of buying it was to have a mesh configuration so that i dont have to keep changing networks when I walk upstairs.

The modem/router is working fine, as is the extender in _EXT configuration, so I am at a loss.

It says the two bits of kit are compatible as easy mesh, but maybe they are not!

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Biffab 

I think only someone from TP-Link would be able to help you further with this.

But one more question. If you log into the RE705X and go to the "Wireless" menu and click on "Wireless Scanner", after the RE705X has scanned for nearby Wi-Fi networks and shows you the list with the results, do the SSIDs that belong to the Archer VX1800v have any sort of "Mesh" label shown next to them, like similar to what you see in the screenshot below?

Options
Saturday

@woozle 

Hi

many thanks for your advice.

I think I have sorted it.

I have reset the extender and redone the wps method as suggested. It connects to the router as before, but I was using the tether app on my phone to log in as it will not log in via the pc desktop.

The app asks you which network you want to extend. This time I didn't choose anything as I think this was where i was going wrong? By selecting my network, it then creates the extended network_EXT

When i log into the router it shows the following which it didnt before.

screenshot

and the extender is showing and the SSID's are now the same as the main router.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Options
Sunday

@Biffab 

Other users have noticed before that setting up an EasyMesh network between TP-Link's router models made specifically for ISPs and TP-Link's regular retail devices seems to be a bit buggy.

I only have retail models of routers and extender and as long as EasyMesh is enabled on both, every method results in a working EasyMesh network, no matter if it's via WPS, Tether or web management interface. 

Options