Allow wired client access to WAN but block access to LAN

a week ago
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1 Build 20210107 Rel. 55552

I recently had to provide an internet connection to my PV Solar Panel system inverter (SolarEdge brand) to allow system monitoring. It had previously used a 2G cellular data connection through T-Mobile, but with T-Mobile shutting down its 2G network, the inverter needed a different internet connection.  The inverter has an ethernet port, so the simplest solution was to use an ethernet patch cord between the inverter and my Archer C9 router.  

The inverter only needs the internet connection to allow my PV system's performance to be monitored via a website and app. There is no need for the inverter to communicate with or have access to any other clients on my home network. 

Is there a way to allow a client hard wired to my router access to the WAN while blocking access to my LAN?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Allow wired client access to WAN but block access to LAN
a week ago

@Milehiguy 

There's no mechanism for isolating a directly connected device through the router ethernet port from its LAN.

You could use a travel router like TL-WR902AC in client mode and connect it to the C9 guest wi-fi network, but I don't think that's worth the effort:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
a week ago
Thank you for the quick reply.
Options
a week ago

@Milehiguy 

Don't know if you have the same features as me ( AX72 EU) 

But on my tether app if I go into my client list and select a client from the client page. 

I'm greeted with the option of device isolation, 

If I click on the device isolation option it then gives me the next page as shown. 

If I read your post correctly that in theory should solve your issue 

I had the same options on wireless and wired devices on my client list if you have this option then that should solve your problem as you described it to not need to talk with anything on your home network but be connected to the WAN and work with apps 👍🏻

Options
Sunday

@Basboi85 

Thank you for your response.  I got excited, because I had not used TP-Link Tether app before.  So I downloaded it and connected to my router, but unfortunately, "Device Isolation" is not an option when I select clients from my client list.  I'll look for a router that does offer this option when I get around to updating my router.  Thanks again!

Options
Sunday

@Milehiguy 

Ahh that's a shame, the only other way I can think of is if your able to use the IOT network and via WiFi. 

I'm not sure if the C9 supports it but I do know on my version of Ax72 on the tether app it seperates the IOT network from your main network. 

Could be a temporary work around for now if viable 

Options
Monday

@Basboi85 

As far as I can tell, I'm very limited in what I can do with the C9.  No ability to separate out the IOT network, and I can't connect the inverter via wifi without adding hardware.  It may be time to upgrade my router.  Thank you for the effort!

Options