ER605 OpenVPN cipher and TLS

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4

I need to use standalone ER605 as a OpenVPN client to a pfSense OpenVPN server, which is raises some issues on the product documentation.

It is not specified which cipher suites ER605 supports?

Either is it specified which TLS ER605 supports?

Where is the VPN log on ER605?

My issue is that TLS handshake fails, which indicates that TLS version could be the issue.

Hope to get some clarification of the questions.

Regards

Martek

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 OpenVPN cipher and TLS -Solution

@Clive_A 

I have solved my issue which was caused by a wrong type of certificate. And i have a test running where ER605 connects as OpenVPN client to af pfSense 2.7.2 OpenVPN server

Trouble shooting could be made easier, if there was som kind og log or the possibility redirect logs to a syslog server.

Any way, some documentation of the implemented VPN services would be appreciated. It would nice to able to make configurations that can meet ER605 possibilities.

Regards Martek

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:ER605 OpenVPN cipher and TLS

Hi @Martek 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Martek wrote

I need to use standalone ER605 as a OpenVPN client to a pfSense OpenVPN server, which is raises some issues on the product documentation.

It is not specified which cipher suites ER605 supports?

Either is it specified which TLS ER605 supports?

Where is the VPN log on ER605?

My issue is that TLS handshake fails, which indicates that TLS version could be the issue.

Hope to get some clarification of the questions.

Regards

Martek

1. Most common ciphers are supported now. Name one and I can help you check.

2. ER605 does not have a VPN log.

3. I think you can try lower the TLS version first as our built-in OpenVPN version is around 2.4.0. Currently, TLS 1.2.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:ER605 OpenVPN cipher and TLS -Solution

@Clive_A 

I have solved my issue which was caused by a wrong type of certificate. And i have a test running where ER605 connects as OpenVPN client to af pfSense 2.7.2 OpenVPN server

Trouble shooting could be made easier, if there was som kind og log or the possibility redirect logs to a syslog server.

Any way, some documentation of the implemented VPN services would be appreciated. It would nice to able to make configurations that can meet ER605 possibilities.

Regards Martek

Recommended Solution
Options