TP-link please assist: parental control is incorrectly blocking child's Rooster Money app

TP-link please assist: parental control is incorrectly blocking child's Rooster Money app

2024-04-30 10:40:52 - last edited 2024-05-03 15:19:45
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

I have parental control turned on for a 10 year old. This appears to block the Rooster Money app from working unless I enable downloads. Rooster Money is specifically a child friendly finance app, so I do want it available to my child, and I do not want to turn off the downloads restrictions.

How can this be unblocked specifically for this app? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-link please assist: parental control is incorrectly blocking child's Rooster Money app
2024-05-06 01:33:09

@Chappies 

Hi, welcome to the community.

There is a feature called "Always allowed APPs" under KidShield. 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/643864

It is open for testing now if you want to try it, maybe we could add you to the waiting list.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:TP-link please assist: parental control is incorrectly blocking child's Rooster Money app
2024-05-06 12:29:01

@David-TP Thanks for the suggestion. I notice though that to use KidShield I would already require an active subscription to Advanced Parental Control. Unfortunately I am using the free version so don't already have access to Advance Parental Control. The free version defaults to blocking downloads (for this age group), and whilst they is appropriate in general, it appears that the Natwest Bank's childs pocket money app (Rooster Money) has been caught in the same net (I guess that it downloads data to display and this is what is being blocked).  

Options
2024-05-09 02:54:46

@Chappies 

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the notification and I removed the previous statement. The KidShield Test actually doesn't require an active subscription to Advanced Parental Control in the testing stage~

Best regards.

Options
2024-05-09 12:54:44
TPlink use Trend Micro's database for content filtering/categorisation. If your issue is as simple as the kids website being mis classified, you can go to Trend's website and request a manual review of the site.
Options
2024-05-12 14:58:01

@ajharvey 

ajharvey wrote

TPlink use Trend Micro's database for content filtering/categorisation. If your issue is as simple as the kids website being mis classified, you can go to Trend's website and request a manual review of the site.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not a web site per se, it's an app (Rooster Money). The app is issued by a UK bank for children to use to track chores and pocket-money/allowance. It's a cloud based app, so my suspicion is that the parental control may be blocking it from downloading data from the cloud. Trend Micro considers the site RoosterMoney dot com to be safe (and listed as educational). But I suspect it's the parental control aspect which blocks downloads (defined as peer-to-peer sharing, online file storage and mobile device content (e.g., music & apps)) which may be the issue. I'll see whether I can get on to the beta of the KidShield, but I hope it won't be necessary long term to pay a subscription just to allow use of a pocket-money app :-) 

Options
2024-05-12 15:04:27
Thanks. I see it on the app. Will apply to the Beta and see whether it helps.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 246

Replies: 6

Related Articles