mDNS not working across VLANS

2024-05-03 19:46:23
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have an Omada network in an shared office environment. Two companies are sharing the space and share printers. The network has been configured with three VLANs: one for printers and one for each company. There is a corresponding Wi-Fi network for each VLAN.

The equipment is ER7212PC v1.0 controller / router/ switch, firmware 1.1.1 and EAP650 v1.0 access point on firmware 1.0.13.

On my laptop, I installed WireShark and the NAPS2 scanner software. When the laptop is connected via the same Wi-Fi network as the printer, discovery works.  Connected via the VLAN network, discovery does not work but the printer can be pinged, I can access the printer’s webpage, and the printer works if the IP address is specified explicitly.

From WireShark, I see that NAPS2 is sending a ‘_uscan._utcp.local’ message so I added this as a additional service in Bonjour Service. mDNS is enabled with all Bonjour Services including the services I added.

From suggestions I have seen in other posts here, I have tried using a combination of settings including in Wi-Fi settings enabling Multicast-to-Unicast conversion and multicast filtering with filtering protocol Mdns. In LAN configuration, I tried enabling IGMP Snooping. I spent a lot of time trying different combinations of the above settings. I have also reviewed the articles in the KB but a lot seems to be out of date with the latest controllers.

Nothing is working with WireShark always showing the mDNS packets going unanswered. What should I do to get this working? Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:mDNS not working across VLANS
2024-05-06 10:56:16

Hi @Eric2022 

Give this a try?

mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Based on what you described, it seems that two companies are under the same roof sharing the network?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:mDNS not working across VLANS
2024-05-06 16:28:12

I was able to get it working following the instructions in the linked article to create an IP-Port Group ACL on allow access. I also had to change toe mDNS service from 'Gateway' to 'AP'. When it was set to 'Gateway', the printer would receive the Bonjour request from the clients on the vlan and respond, but the response would not get back to the clients.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 128

Replies: 2

Related Articles