Wifi dead in the evenings but lightning fast during the morning/day. Ethernet is always fast?

Wifi dead in the evenings but lightning fast during the morning/day. Ethernet is always fast?

2024-05-04 12:42:57 - last edited 2024-05-21 03:21:19
Model: Archer BE805  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20240318 rel.63271(4A50)

As per the title, I am having issues with my routers wifi during evenings/nights where it goes down to pretty much 0. Restaring the router will help everything connect again but speeds are so slow I can barely run a speed test on fast.com. Ethernet is lightning fast and stable but the wifi just wont work properly. I am running diagnostics and optimizations through the tether app/web interface but nothing works. I am quite confused since it works really well during any other hour than late evenings/nights.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wifi dead in the evenings but lightning fast during the morning/day. Ethernet is always fast?-Solution
2024-05-15 06:22:44 - last edited 2024-05-21 03:21:28

@Marvin_S After some more testing I have finally found the culprit, when my pc is on (using either ethernet or wifi) wifi speeds crawls to a stop, but if I remove the ethernet connection it all goes back to normal instantly, I am not using QoS or the like, what might be the issue then?

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Wifi dead in the evenings but lightning fast during the morning/day. Ethernet is always fast?
2024-05-04 13:49:34

@Nertip 

Hi,

At the times when the Wi-Fi speed is slow, is it slow on all three bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz) or just one particular band?

Options
Re:Wifi dead in the evenings but lightning fast during the morning/day. Ethernet is always fast?
2024-05-04 14:29:07

@woozle It is slow on all bands, it's so slow that most if not all devices drop wifi connections entirely. Those that remain have 0~150 kbps in speed when Ethernet connections between devices/internet is pretty much full speed. It stays like this for a few hours and then it will just work at expected speeds all of a sudden with no changes/restarts.

Options
2024-05-07 02:51:31

@Nertip 

Hi,if you are experiencing slow Internet speed with your TP-Link Archer Router, here are some steps to help troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please use https://www.speedtest.net or the speedtest APP/CLI(https://www.speedtest.net/apps) for testing speed accurately.

2. Please make sure the speed of your ISP/Modem is good by connecting a PC directly into the ISP Modem/Router.

3. To verify wired(Ethernet) speed of your Router, please connect the PC directly into the LAN ports of the Router, make sure all Ethernet cables are CAT5E and above.

4. When testing with wireless, please connect your phone/laptop to the high speed network (5G/6G) instead of 2.4G. In order to reach maximum throughput over wireless, put the phone/Laptop next to the Router.

5. Check the router WAN or LAN specification on TP-Link official website, if they are 100Mbps port, the actual internet speed will not be higher than 100Mbps.

6. Here are some tips which might improve the speed of your Archer Router:

1) If Ethernet speed is slower than expected, please try different Ethernet cables (CAT5E or above) on the Router.

2) Disable QoS, please access http://tplinkwifi.net and go to Advanced >> QoS to disable it.

3) Disable Parental Control, please go to Advanced >> Parental Control to disable it.

4) If wireless speed is slower than expected, please go to Advanced >> Wireless Settings to change the 5GHz Wi-Fi channel, you may try different channels to find the best one for your environment.

5) Disable SIP ALG and UPNP, please go to Advanced >> NAT Forwarding >> UPNP to disable UPNP, go to Advance >> Security to disable SIP ALG.

6) Try a few other speedtest servers, other servers might reach better speeds.

Options
2024-05-10 13:50:05 - last edited 2024-05-10 13:53:19

@Marvin_S 

It's been a couple of days and it is still an issue even with these debug suggestions. If I restart the device it will fix the wifi, but having to do this every day after 14ish hours of up time is quite annoying for such an expensive device. Some times it is just the IoT network that goes down while the main network is still connected (speed gets slow), though the 6g band works most of the times (albeit slow), ethernet keeps the speed but gets very unstable. Is the device itself faulty?

Options
Re:Wifi dead in the evenings but lightning fast during the morning/day. Ethernet is always fast?-Solution
2024-05-15 06:22:44 - last edited 2024-05-21 03:21:28

@Marvin_S After some more testing I have finally found the culprit, when my pc is on (using either ethernet or wifi) wifi speeds crawls to a stop, but if I remove the ethernet connection it all goes back to normal instantly, I am not using QoS or the like, what might be the issue then?

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-15 07:32:25

@Nertip After searching the internet someone said that DHCP might be the issue, so I just recerved my pc an IP address and now both WIFI and Ethernet seems to be stable with the expected speeds.

Options
2024-05-16 11:24:29

@Nertip 

Hi, thanks for your constant update.

May I confirm that you set a static IP on your computer or did Address Reservation on the router?

If you do not connect the PC to the BE805 network, can the network keeps stable for your other clients?

Can share the model and OS of your computer?You may keep an eye on the network stability in the next few days.

Look forward to your detailed feedback if there is further issue.

Options
2024-05-16 12:02:12

@Marvin_S 

1. > May I confirm that you set a static IP on your computer or did Address Reservation on the router?
    I did address reservation on the router.
  2. > If you do not connect the PC to the BE805 network, can the network keeps stable for your other clients?
    Correct, if I did not connect the pc to the BE805 (via ethernet nor wifi) the rest of my clients were stable.
  3. Can share the model and OS of your computer?You may keep an eye on the network stability in the next few days.

Computer is custom built:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 FORMULA, BIOS version: 1202
    CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
Options
2024-05-18 06:01:45 - last edited 2024-05-21 03:21:32

@Marvin_S 

It's been a couple of days, and I can happily report that wifi has been stable and have not had to restart the device. None of the devices has dropped/slowed down and everything seems to be good.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 9

Related Articles