Devices on network cannot connect to internet over VPN

a week ago
Model: Archer BE550  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20240226 rel.61914(5553)

Hello!  So all of my devices on my network cannot connect to the internet once i enable the VPN client.  I am using wireguard, and I have tried OpenVPN,  Same issue. 

I can run basic command line checks such as nmap, nslookup, traceroute, ping, etc just fine.  However all sites / all browsers result in some SSL error. Such as SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ on my linux installs, and similar on my Mac OS devices.

I am able to open and connect fine if I use the VPN provider app, as well as when I use Wireguard with their app. The end point IP, and other configurations are the same. I also tried lowering my MTU based on a hunch since secure packets may be handled better, same result. 

I have gone through the guides on the help pages here, as well as some 3p sites, including the provider guides, and as far as I can tell, everything is fine.  One side note is that my router keeps kicking me off the connection with my TP-Link id, but i am using the management pannel directly to the IP, and that is working fine. Aside from the random page that appears about clearing my browser cache, which I have done.

To be 100% sure its the router, I ordered a GL.iNet MT2500A (Brume 2) Mini. Which now I think is just silly, but will try anyways. Since i am able to connect from device to server with no issue.

So, what now? A factory reset which is a hail marry IMHO, and not a sure thing? Or can I receive some 1:1 support considering this router is only about a month old in my house, band new, untouched by anyone except me.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Devices on network cannot connect to internet over VPN
a week ago

@PhilipC 

Hi,may I confirm your network topology?

You may refer to the article to check the settings.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Marvin_S

I was able to get in contact and I have a Support ticket going. [TP-Link Support]-[TKID240427848]

I have narrowed this down to be Wi-Fi Only problem. --  just figured out that wired devices are working just fine. Which is an interesting find, but unfortunately, not enough, considering that many of my devices are wireless.

Within that support ticket is everything you need to know, including my topography.

Options
a week ago

@PhilipC 

Thanks for your prompt feedback!

As your case has been escalated to the support engineer for better help, there is no need to do more troubleshooting here.

Please look forward to the email reply.

Options