Very frustrated with M5 backhaul

2024-05-11 16:04:24

Hi all, for the past few days i´ve been wrestling with this problem and I cannot seem to figure out why this happening.

I got 3 TP links M5 deco´s. Current set up is M5 deco wired to the modem, and via backhaul wifi a connection to second M5. However, for the third M5, I want to have an ethernet backhaul connection with the second M5.

I used a patched CAT6 cable with RJ45´s to try and connect to the second M5 with the third M5, but there is no connection. The CAT 6 cable works fine though, because I have tested it with both a cable tester, and I plugged in the cable from modem to my computer, and i got fantastic ethernet.

This must mean there is something wrong with the M5´s right? Not necessarily, because when I use a different cat 6 cable to connect the second and third M5, the ethernet backhaul works just fine!

I put in a lot of effort to put the reroute the 'defective' Cat 6 cable throughout the house from downstairs to upstairs, so I really want to make it work with that cable, not a different one.

Willing to pay a gazillion dollars for the golden tip.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Very frustrated with M5 backhaul
2024-05-11 19:37:02

@HeinvL 

I can offer you a workaround for about $50.

What you will need:

1. Two very short Ethernet cables, Cat 5E or Cat 6, that work with M5. Test them by bringing third M5 to where second M5 is and connecting them with that Ethernet cable;

2. Two 5-port gigabit Ethernet switches from TP-Link brand, preferably unmanaged.

The workaround:

1. Connect both ends of 'defective' Cat 6 cable to TP-Link switches;

2. Connect short Ethernet cables to different ports of same switches, one cable per switch;

3. Connect M5s to other ends of short Ethernet cables.

----------------

If you want to know for sure switches established connection with each other over the 'defective' Cat 6 cable, spend a little more for switches with status LED lights, such as TL-SG105E.

You will have switches keeping Ethernet link and Deco connecting through the switches over Ethernet backhaul.

If switches can't establish Ethernet link over 'defective' Cat 6 cable, or LEDs show link speed less than gigabit, it is no longer Deco problem.

I would recommend getting switches from the place with return policy, just in case this workaround fails.

Options