EasyMesh Network Configuration Issue with Mercusys MR50G Router

2024-05-17 05:19:02 - last edited 2024-05-20 01:39:50
Model: General Product  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.11.4 Build 230317 Rel.61934n(4555)

I am encountering issue while trying to establish an EasyMesh network with my Mercusys routers. Specifically, I am experiencing difficulties with my MR50G router.

To provide you with a comprehensive overview of my setup, I have configured my MR90X router as the main router, with MR70X and MR50G serving as satellite routers using LAN connection. (EasyMesh Ethernet Backhual) While MR70X seems to be functioning correctly as a satellite router, I have encountered several issues with MR50G.

Upon inspecting the configuration settings of the MR50G router, I noticed that no channels are assigned for either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz frequency bands. Additionally, in the 2.4GHz configuration, a MAC address is assigned, but the 5GHz band shows '00-00-00-00-00-00' as the MAC address. As a result, there is no WiFi signal coming from the MR50G router.

This issue was resolved when I reset the router, which then switched to EasyMesh mode and started working fine. However, if either the main MR90X router or the satellite MR50G router is restarted, the same issue reoccurs. This problem might be related to the firmware of either the MR90X or the MR50G. I also attempted to fix the issue by downgrading the MR50G firmware, but the problem persists.

For your convenience, I have attached screenshots of the configuration settings of both the main router (MR90X) and the MR50G router, including every EasyMesh configuration page.

MR50G router's main page.

Mercusys MR50G router main page view

MR50G Host Router page

Mercusys MR50G router host page view

MR50G router config page.

Mercusys MR50G router config page.

MR90X Mesh devices list page

Mercusys MR90X router mesh devices page view

MR90X router Mesh Device config for MR50G

Mercusys MR90X router MR50G device config view

If required any other information from my end just let me know. Thank you!

Options
14 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Network Configuration Issue with Mercusys MR50G Router
2024-05-17 18:07:26

@SKYNe 

Hi,

I think it's very likely that the MR50G with firmware version 1.11.4 doesn't support EasyMesh via Ethernet Backhaul yet.

As we all know, at TP-Link the term "supports EasyMesh" doesn't automatically mean that Ethernet Backhaul is included.

Most routers of the TP-Link main brand received support for EasyMesh via Ethernet Backhaul much later than wireless EasyMesh.

And the fact that you see the MR50G in the list of Mesh Devices and shown as connected via Ethernet doesn't mean much. The EasyMesh routers of the main TP-Link brand that didn't support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul behaved similary and trying to use the them this way resulted in nothing but problems. 

Options
2024-05-18 13:02:07 - last edited 2024-05-18 13:05:21

Hello  @woozle,

Thankyou for your reply, Just for your information, I've been using the MR50G as a satellite device with my MR70X as the main router for around two years, and it has been working fine in an EasyMesh configuration with LAN backhaul. However, when I replaced the MR70X with the new MR90X router, the MR50G works fine as a satellite device until one of the routers restarts due to a power cut or any other reason. After a restart, it starts showing the issue I mentioned above.

When I reset the MR50G by pressing the reset button, it starts working fine as a satellite device again until one of the routers restarts.

I also tried connecting them wirelessly, and the same issue occurred, which implies that this is an issue requiring attention.

This suggests that there might be a bug within the MR50G firmware that requires attention.

And the MR50G supports EasyMesh as shown in latest firmware changelogs.

MR50G Firmware changelog

Options
2024-05-18 16:11:57 - last edited 2024-05-20 01:16:29

@SKYNe 

Yes, if the problem also happens when the routers are connected via EasyMesh wireless backhaul, then it must be a bug in the firmware.

I guess you'll have to wait for a firmware update that fixes the problem.

Options
2024-05-18 16:36:08

Hi  @woozle,

Can you please let me know the process to raise this issue as a bug in the Mercusys MR50G router firmware?

I want to ensure that the Mercusys development team is aware of this issue and can provide some assurance that it will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Thanks!

Options
2024-05-19 15:40:48

@SKYNe 

I don't know if TP-Link support can forward your matter to them. The only official way I see is this contact form here: https://www.mercusys.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#email-support

Options
2024-05-24 07:36:38

@SKYNe 

Hello ! 

I hope you'll solve your problem soon,but I have another dilemma regarding one of your routers - can MR90x use just one band for wireless back haul, as per the user wish (old WDS bridging style, like TP link Easy Mesh can), or automatically uses both bands for back haul and the user can't change that ?

Options
2024-06-05 09:01:04

Hello @zavalita2002,

As far as I know, the Mercusys MR90X uses both bands to set up wireless backhaul, and there is no way to change that. However, you can use the Wireless Distribution System (WDS) to connect your routers using a specific band.

Thank you!

Options
2024-08-05 05:24:19

Hi,

Is there any TP-Link official who can help me with this issue? I've raised it through multiple channels but still haven't received an appropriate response. I'm using multiple Mercusys devices, and each one has significant software issues. They're fine for normal use, but their firmware quality is subpar for advanced users.

As I've mentioned before, I've reported these issues via email, phone calls to customer care, the app feedback option, and the website. However, all I've received is an automated email stating:

"Thank you for contacting the Mercusys Support team. Your case has been recorded in our email system. Since the serious Covid-19 situation, we are facing huge service pressure. But we will get back to you as soon as possible."

I don't understand which country they are in that is still facing Covid-19 issues to this extent. Their feedback system is worse than expected. I might need to switch to a different, more reliable brand that listens to customer queries.

Here is a glace of my email inbox full of Mercusys Support and community email:

Options
2024-08-09 17:44:31

Hi @Marvin_S can you please forward this issue to the Mercusys technical support team as you have done it in this reported issue: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/681698

It's similar kind of issue in my case channel and width not been assigned to one of the satellite router (Mercusys MR50G).

Thank you for your support 🙏😊.

Options
2024-08-13 10:38:56 - last edited 2024-08-14 10:29:54

@SKYNe 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

May I confirm some detailed information to understand your situation better?

1. Do you mean when you reboot MR90X or MR50G, the issue happens again? The issue is not about MR70X?

2. Please share the hardware and firmware version of your MR90X and MR70X separately. 

3. Let us simplify the network topology. Just connect MR50G to MR90X via Ethernet cable to set up Easymesh network(remove MR70X). Then check whether the same issue remains.

4. Based on the Step3 or the original question, how did you find the SSID of MR50G is invisible? Did you check on different devices? Did you ever use any WiFi Analyzer to scan? 

Thanks for your cooperation~

Options