Connect TP-Link BE800 to StarLink Gen 3 Modem Router

2024-05-19 03:46:33 - last edited 2024-05-22 02:33:14
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I'm waiting for my BE800 to arrive and I'd like to understand whether I set it up in 'wireless router', or 'access point' mode; I'm a little confused as to which one to use. I have a StarLink Gen 3 modem router with 2 ethernet ports, so I will be connecting it via ethernet cable and turning the StarLink wifi off.

Thanks in advance for helping me to understand which to use.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connect TP-Link BE800 to StarLink Gen 3 Modem Router-Solution
2024-05-21 11:58:25 - last edited 2024-05-22 02:33:14

Hi  @Marvin_S ,

I got my new router today and was very excited to set it up. I followed the instructions and the tether app, and voila, we were online!

Then, the app showed some network vulnerability due to an outdated firmware, which I proceeded to update. Sadly, I spent hours afterwards doing factory resets and reboots to no avail. I'm at a loss to understand why a firmware update would be available if it was not fit for purpose? It shows as 1.1.1 Build 20240227 rel.33191. 

By chance, I removed the RJ45 cable from the back of the BE800 which connects to the StarLink router, and when I plugged it back in, it had internet access. I didn't want this to end in a refund request, so thankfully it worked.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connect TP-Link BE800 to StarLink Gen 3 Modem Router
2024-05-20 03:48:00

@747fan 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

The TP-Link Archer Router operates in Router mode by default, functioning as a gateway device with features like Antivirus/Protection, Parental Controls, QoS, and DHCP Server. However, users can choose to switch to Access Point Mode when they already have an existing router serving as the gateway device, and they simply need the Archer Router to provide Wi-Fi access.
To change your TP-Link Archer Router to Access Point Mode (AP Mode), please follow these steps:
1) Connect the TP-Link Archer Router to your existing Router, connect your PC to the TP-Link Archer Router through Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
2) Access the web management interface by opening a web browser and entering "tplinkwifi.net" in the address bar. Log in to the interface.
3) Navigate to Advanced > System > Operation Mode. Select "Access Point Mode" from the options and save the changes.
4) Alternatively, you can use the TP-Link Tether app. Download and open the app, log in to your router, and go to Tools > Operation Mode. Choose "Access Point Mode" and apply the changes.
5) The router will reboot and switch to Access Point Mode.
Note:
When you switch to Access Point Mode (AP Mode), certain gateway features will no longer be available, including QoS, Parental Control, DHCP Server settings,  IPTV,  VLAN, and DDNS, etc..
For more detailed information on the differences between Router mode and AP mode on TP-Link routers, you can refer to the FAQ.

Options
Re:Connect TP-Link BE800 to StarLink Gen 3 Modem Router-Solution
2024-05-21 11:58:25 - last edited 2024-05-22 02:33:14

Hi  @Marvin_S ,

I got my new router today and was very excited to set it up. I followed the instructions and the tether app, and voila, we were online!

Then, the app showed some network vulnerability due to an outdated firmware, which I proceeded to update. Sadly, I spent hours afterwards doing factory resets and reboots to no avail. I'm at a loss to understand why a firmware update would be available if it was not fit for purpose? It shows as 1.1.1 Build 20240227 rel.33191. 

By chance, I removed the RJ45 cable from the back of the BE800 which connects to the StarLink router, and when I plugged it back in, it had internet access. I didn't want this to end in a refund request, so thankfully it worked.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connect TP-Link BE800 to StarLink Gen 3 Modem Router
2024-05-22 02:32:49

@747fan 

Hi, thanks for your update! You may keep an eye on the new network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 386

Replies: 3

Related Articles