Blocked unknown wifi device still transferring data.

2024-05-21 02:57:45 - last edited 2024-05-22 03:29:54
Model: Archer BE805  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I have an unknown wifi device that is downloading data in PB scale even though I blocked it Thursday last week. Is it a visual bug or real? I have already identified every single device in my network. But this one is the only one I am unable to account for.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Blocked unknown wifi device still transferring data.
2024-05-21 10:36:30 - last edited 2024-05-21 12:33:56

@Nertip 

How did you block the device. You can use an Access Control blacklist to block the device.

Additionally you can check its MAC address and see what it is - https://dnschecker.org/mac-lookup.php

Another thing you could try is to access its IP address in a web browser and check for any response.

This should not work if you have backlisted the device already since that means it shouldn't have access to your local network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-05-21 12:18:18

@terziyski I used the block list feature within the router. Unfortunately I've already tried looking up the Mac address but it resulted in unknown device. Tried multiple sites but no go.

Options
2024-05-21 17:51:58

@Nertip 

You can monitor/manage your client devices when logged in via a web browser:

Make sure that this device is in the Deny list:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-05-25 12:28:51

The device keeps downloading more and more data according to the Tether app, but using the web interface there are no unknown devices on the network. As such my current conclusion is that there must be a bug with the Tether app.

Options
2024-05-25 15:24:07

@Nertip 

In order to confirm that you should make sure you're using the latest version of the Tether app for your mobile platform.

After that try removing the router from the Tether app and re-add it again - check if there's any difference.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Nertip It definitely is a firmware bug. I'm using web UI and also seeing this. At first I thought someone got me. Then I realized my WIFI password is a pain to type, and would take more than a thousand years to bruteforce according to Kaspersky's and BitWarden's password checker. So I went back to really pay attention and noticed the mysterious device comes up every time the router got a hold of a WAN connection. The uptime is about 1 second away after WAN is 'UP'. 

Mine shows as connected to 5G band. Blocking this device or not doesn't affect the internet usage at all. If you keep it blocked, it won't show in the web UI clients list, but would come back after the router is rebooted.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 317

Replies: 6

Related Articles