Archer C7 - no connection with openVPN

2024-05-21 13:27:27
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220715 rel.19099(4555)

Hi,

I am from Austria and use my Archer C7 in German, but will try to explain everything in English.

I use a ZTE MC801A Modem Router from Magenta (T-Mobile) in Bridge Mode. The APN is set to business, hence I enjoy a dynamic public IP. My WAN IP of the Archer C7 is the same as whatismyip.

Further more I set up a dyndns via no-ip and activated it in my Archer C7 which is working correctly, as far as I can tell.

In the web gui from my Archer C7 I activated the openVPN Server, set it to UDP, left the serviceport and subnet standard and also "only home network" for client access.

I generated a certificate (meanwhile a second and third time) and downloaded the certificate.

Next I uploaded the certificate into the current version of openVPN client for windows (version 3.4.4). Well, they do not connect. I also tried it with the latest openVPN app under Android 14, which is not working, too.

In the Archer C7 menu, under the point "vpn connections" there is logically no entry due to the failed connection with my pc or my android smartphone.

I also tried to add "remote --mypublicip-- --port--" after the dyndns but that did not help.

My goal is to connect my QNAP NAS with my smartphone via openVPN.

I will upload the content of my *.ovpn (without certificate and key) and the log file from my windows openVPN client later.

If you need screenshots from specific menus of the Archer C7 please let me know.

Help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Sigfrid

File:
openVPN config and client log.pdfDownload
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - no connection with openVPN
2024-05-21 19:40:59 - last edited 2024-05-21 19:41:26

@Sigfrid_Xanten 

Here are two things you could try that might help with troubleshooting the problem.

1) Connect your Android phone to the Wi-Fi of your Archer C7, open the "OpenVPN Connect" app and then activate the connection that you've already imported ealier. 
Does it connect successfully? (normally it should connect)

2) Enable "Remote Management" on the C7 via the menu "Advanced -> Administration". 
Then grab a device that is connected to the Internet via a different provider (like a phone with its own SIM card), open the device's web browser and type http://78.132.82.195 (or http://vifacloud2020.ddns.net). 
Does the login page of your Archer C7 appear in the browser?

Options
2024-05-23 08:58:24 - last edited 2024-05-23 09:02:09

@woozle 

Thx for the first ideas.

Ad 1) Nope. Neither in WiFi nor in mobile Internet I get a connection in the openvpn app on Android. I click on the slider but it does not start (or it seems to stop immediatly, in comparison to the Windows Client which tries to connect for a minute or so)

Ad 2) Yes, I can enter and administrate the C7 via mobile Internet through both the IP as well as vifacloud2020.ddns.net

Further ideas? Thank you so much.

By the way: I also added and activated Port 1194 under NAT/PORT TRIGGERING. Did not help.

Options
2024-05-23 19:19:08

@Sigfrid_Xanten 

According to the log you provided earlier there is no response from the VPN server. (Server poll timeout, trying next remote entry...)

I can only think of two possible reasons. 

1) The incoming connection from the Internet does not go through to the router.

-> We can now rule this out, because you can get to the remote login screen of the C7 via the Internet.

2) The openvpn server process does not start because something got misconfigured internally and disabling/enabling the OpenVPN option via the router's admin webpage doesn't correct the error.

-> Since the C7 (as well as most other commercial routers) doesn't provide access to the Linux command line we cannot verify this.
The only way to recover from such a situation would be to reset the router to factory default settings.

By the way, in case you decided to go for the factory restore, then test the OpenVPN server first thing after the reset. What I mean is, don't change a whole lot of other settings on the router before you test the OpenVPN.

After the router reset a new certificate will be created, which means you have to export the ovpn profile again and import it to your client devices.

And don't add port triggering rules for ports used by the C7's own VPN service.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 162

Replies: 3

Related Articles