2 way wiring for Tapo smart light switches.

2024-05-27 09:33:15 - last edited 3 weeks ago

The Tapo S210 and S220 are only available as one way switches. Are there any plans for 2 or 3 way switches (like Kassa) or is there a wiring workaround for this. I have like may people, a 2 way setup in my kitchen as well as my landing/ hallway lights.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:2 way wiring for Tapo smart light switches.-Solution
2024-05-29 02:21:57 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@ChrisP-1 

A possible workaround is to get a Tapo smart button (S200B/S200D) to control the smart switch with automation

The smart button offers four types of operations: single click, double click, clockwise rotation, and counterclockwise rotation. This versatility allows you to control not only a switch but also other Tapo devices through automations, making multifunctional.

How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:2 way wiring for Tapo smart light switches.-Solution
2024-05-29 02:21:57 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@ChrisP-1 

A possible workaround is to get a Tapo smart button (S200B/S200D) to control the smart switch with automation

The smart button offers four types of operations: single click, double click, clockwise rotation, and counterclockwise rotation. This versatility allows you to control not only a switch but also other Tapo devices through automations, making multifunctional.

How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:2 way wiring for Tapo smart light switches.
2024-05-30 10:07:00

@ChrisP-1 

Safety Tips:

• If you are not comfortable working with electrical wiring, consider hiring a professional electrician.
  • Always double-check that the power is off before working on electrical circuits.

These steps should help you set up your Tapo smart light switches for two-way wiring. Let me know if you need more specific information or further assistance!

#1 Painting is a professional residential and commercial painting company servicing Lower Mainland area. We are dedicated to providing you with the best painting work at the most reasonable prices.
Options
2024-05-30 23:58:09

Hi @Wayne-TP thanks for the reply.

I have heard about the button solution, but I'm not sure I understand this correctly.

Is this what you mean?:

I have two dumb switches which I will call main and sub. I unwire the sub switch, terminating the wires in the back boxes, rendering it inoperable.

Meanwhile, I replace the 'main' dumb switch with a Tapo smart switch, wired in a 1 way configuration.

I then replace the 'sub' dumb switch with a smart button which I set up to operate the 'main' smart switch.

I intend to involve a qualified electrician but want to know if the set up is possible before buying any devices or calling somebody out.

Many thanks.

Options
2024-05-31 00:05:34

Hi @No1Painting, thanks for the advice.

I do intend on using a qualified electrician. I just wondered if what I want to achieve was possible.

From what I can gather, I need to remove one of the switches from the equation and just have one switch wired in a 1 way configuration. The removed switch now gets replaced by a smart button?

Many thanks.

Options
2024-05-31 09:53:54 - last edited 2024-05-31 09:56:59

@ChrisP-1 

The suggested method is using cloud automation to enable three-way control even for Tapo single-pole switches. Tapo smart button is not a electric switch that can be wired to the circuit.

If you're seeking advice on wiring workarounds, we recommend consulting a professional electrician. However, we do not encourage such modifications as they may result in issues like smart control failure or other unpredictable problems.

Options
2024-05-31 13:33:57

Hi  @Wayne-TP . I understand that the button is not physically wired into the circuit.

I'm also not looking for workarounds or modifications.

My confusion is with replacing my existing two way switch with a Tapo 1 way switch. I've examined images of both one and two way switches online and they appear to have differing numbers of terminals. 

Thanks.

Options