OpenVPN server configuration is too basic and does not support usernames

2024-05-30 18:41:29 - last edited 2024-06-03 01:27:32
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20240417 Rel. 52783

The OpenVPN server configuration is too basic and does not support usernames (and passwords). So basically you export the configuration, give it to someone else and that person may send it to someone else and they all connect with the same configuration.

Any workarounds to setting up usernames?  I think it requires TP-Link to release a new firmware, but I really think it is mandatory to implement something like this. 

Also if I want to invalidate that person's access I need to remove and recreate the VPN server -since the certificate is unique for everyone and you cannot renew it -that's another thing that should be added. And maybe the option to disconnect remote clients -without shutting down the whole server.

Thanks,

Diego.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OpenVPN server configuration is too basic and does not support usernames-Solution
2024-05-31 11:04:41 - last edited 2024-06-03 01:27:32

@Diego_M 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Deco X55-1.5.1 supports wireguard VPN protocol. I think maybe you could try to connect the VPN server via Wireguard VPN protocol, instead of OpenVPN.

By the way, may I know which VPN service you are using, like NordVPN or Surfshark?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:OpenVPN server configuration is too basic and does not support usernames-Solution
2024-05-31 11:04:41 - last edited 2024-06-03 01:27:32

@Diego_M 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Deco X55-1.5.1 supports wireguard VPN protocol. I think maybe you could try to connect the VPN server via Wireguard VPN protocol, instead of OpenVPN.

By the way, may I know which VPN service you are using, like NordVPN or Surfshark?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OpenVPN server configuration is too basic and does not support usernames
2024-05-31 18:53:15

@David-TP I'm just using OpenVPN server to connect to my home network. Not using NordVPN or the other one that you mentioned -which I believe would be for using my router as a client, correct?

I will try WireGuard VPN server. Just saw that you added support for this -but didn't try that yet.

Thanks,

Diego.

Options
Re:OpenVPN server configuration is too basic and does not support usernames
2024-05-31 19:14:49

@David-TP Hey David, just tested quickly Wireguard VPN Server. Really nice and it's exactly what I need! Thank you very much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 250

Replies: 3

Related Articles