Archer C6 x2 - Router / AP Mode Issues

2024-06-09 15:03:46 - last edited 2024-06-12 19:45:59
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.7 Build 20220613 rel.64828(4555)

Hi,

Having a few issues trying to run x2 Archer C6 routers in my house. The setup is as follows:

• Primary Archer C6 in router mode using PPPoE
    • 2 SSIDs (5/2.4Ghz)
    • DHCP Enabled
    • IP set as 192.168.0.1
  • Secondary Archer C6 in Access Point mode
    • 2 SSIDs (matching the primary with the same PSK)
    • Uplinked to primary router via the WAN port (Connected to a LAN port on the primary)
    • Static IP set of 192.168.0.2 (outside of DHCP lease scope)
    • DHCP is disabled

The issue I seem to be having is that when a client appears to change which device it is connected to the throughput we are getting is dismal. I run a speed test when the AP is not connected and get 221Mbps down and 80Mbps up. As soon as we introduce the AP and a device potentially uses the AP instead when we move around the house the behavious changes. For example, I notice speed is bad so I run a speedtest. Starts at about 80Mbps and literally loses about 10Mbps every 2 seconds and slowly declines to sometimes Kbps but usually sits at about 1-2Mbps.

I have no idea why this is happening, at our previous house we had Virgin with one of their routers and I had both these C6's in AP mode and it worked a charm, our strength and connection speeds were so good. However, since using a C6 in router mode and then the other in AP mode we have these issues and I cannot pinpoint why.

I'm sure I've tried the C6 in AP mode connected to the primary using LAN ports but that didn't work. I just tried putting the 5Ghz network in WDS mode and it borked the network, had to reboot the router to bring it back online, although I do not fully understand that feature and how it works.

Hoping someone can assist. Desperate improve signal with my current hardware.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 x2 - Router / AP Mode Issues-Solution
2024-06-09 22:39:30 - last edited 2024-06-12 19:45:59

@SonJim 

Yes, that's correct. You can see that in the AP mode guide (Case 1) - here.

Your LAN1 port is 1000 mbps which is correct as well - no need to change cables.

It seems that the issue is elsewhere. You can do the following:

Connect a wired client (PC/laptop) to the C6 AP LAN port and test the speed.

If the speed is as expected then the issue is with the wireless settings, probably wireless interference - change the wireless channels of the C6 AP and use different channels than these on your main router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 x2 - Router / AP Mode Issues
2024-06-09 16:46:49 - last edited 2024-06-09 16:48:07

@SonJim 

You can check tha negotiated speed of the C6 in AP mode on your main router C6 WebGUI here:

Lets say that you've connected the C6 in AP mode to LAN3 port of your main router.

Check if its negotiated speed is 1000 mbps.

If not try another LAN port or if that doesn't fix it change the ethernet cable.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-06-09 17:25:50

@terziyski 

Just confirmed LAN1 which is in use for the AP mode C6 on my main router has negotiated 1000Mbps. I made sure I am using CAT6 cabling as well.

Does it seem that I have the config correct? I have tried different cables as well.

Is it right to use the WAN port on the AP C6 to connect to the main router C6?

Options
Re:Archer C6 x2 - Router / AP Mode Issues-Solution
2024-06-09 22:39:30 - last edited 2024-06-12 19:45:59

@SonJim 

Yes, that's correct. You can see that in the AP mode guide (Case 1) - here.

Your LAN1 port is 1000 mbps which is correct as well - no need to change cables.

It seems that the issue is elsewhere. You can do the following:

Connect a wired client (PC/laptop) to the C6 AP LAN port and test the speed.

If the speed is as expected then the issue is with the wireless settings, probably wireless interference - change the wireless channels of the C6 AP and use different channels than these on your main router.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-06-10 12:20:05

@terziyski 

Thanks, will try that this afternoon and report back. Interestingly, my laptop still connected to the router had the issue with decreasing Mbps whilst performing a speedtest and poor performance today. The AP was switched off yesterday for over 12 hours.

On my iPhone I had to forget the network and reconnect for it to fix the issue. So even after turning off the AP device the issue will remain for the device that had it originally until they reconnect or until I restart the router.

Options
2024-06-12 19:45:44
So it appears setting explicit channels has fixed the issue. Thanks for the tip. Is it worth adding to the KB article that this should be checked as well to get the router / AP mode working together?
Options