How can I connect to a particular device?

2024-06-13 08:35:43 - last edited 2024-06-13 18:10:43
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5

To hopefully fix a problem with my Sky box, I want to WiFi connect to the internet via a powerline extender, rather than direct to the router.

But I cannot see the network name of the new extender.

I already had one extender (for my PC) on which I copied the network settings using WPS.  So I log on using the normal network login.

I added a new extender, expecting to see the SSID, which I could then connect my Sky box to.

But I don't see it, only the existing network name. So I don't know if my Sky box is connecting via the extender or not.

Any way to fix this please?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How can I connect to a particular device?-Solution
2024-06-13 17:34:01 - last edited 2024-06-13 18:10:43

@mikepilk 

Hi,

These Wi-Fi Powerline adapters have a feature called "Wi-Fi Move", which is apparently enabled by default and "synchronizes" various settings between all the connected Wi-Fi Powerline adapters, including their SSID.

So I suggest you log into the WPA4220 whose network name you want to change (perhaps unplug the other WPA4220 temporarily, so you can be sure you are logging into the correct WPA4220), disable "Wi-Fi Move" and then go to the "Wireless -> Settings" menu and change the SSID to something unique. That way you can make sure your Sky box is connecting to that particular extender.

Below are the respective pages from the WPA4220's User Guide.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:How can I connect to a particular device?-Solution
2024-06-13 17:34:01 - last edited 2024-06-13 18:10:43

@mikepilk 

Hi,

These Wi-Fi Powerline adapters have a feature called "Wi-Fi Move", which is apparently enabled by default and "synchronizes" various settings between all the connected Wi-Fi Powerline adapters, including their SSID.

So I suggest you log into the WPA4220 whose network name you want to change (perhaps unplug the other WPA4220 temporarily, so you can be sure you are logging into the correct WPA4220), disable "Wi-Fi Move" and then go to the "Wireless -> Settings" menu and change the SSID to something unique. That way you can make sure your Sky box is connecting to that particular extender.

Below are the respective pages from the WPA4220's User Guide.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How can I connect to a particular device?
2024-06-13 18:15:24

@woozle That's great thanks - it worked as you described.

I assumed that the new extender was automatically synchronizing, but I would never have figured out how to turn it off.

Thanks for your help and clear instructions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 220

Replies: 2

Related Articles