Unable to ping Internet IP4 address

2024-06-15 15:27:55
Model: TL-MR100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have observed that using the router basically works on the IPV6 address - I guess, typically how LTE network relies on. 

However, my concern is when try to pin the Internet IPV 4 address.

For instance, a ping command "ping www [dot] example [dot] com" works. But the command, "ping 93.184.215.14" fails with the error message "host not reachable".

The IP 93.184.215.14 is basically the IPV4 address for www [dot] example [dot] com. 

So the issue is that the router is unable to resolve any IPV4 address directly requested. Noted: If I connect the Laptop via Personal Hotspot on the same LTE network, it is able to resolve the IPV4 address. So the issue is basically is within the router and not external to it (i.e, LTE/ 4G network). 

Appreciate any resolution on this from TP Link.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to ping Internet IP4 address
2024-06-16 08:20:29

Good evening,
I have the same problem. I can't find a solution to this problem yet.

Options
2024-06-18 09:17:42

@Tx_Pa 

Hi,

Please create a new APN, PDP type choose IPv4 & IPv6, keep other settings as the same.

If the issue still exists, please also check if the router can get a IPv4 IP address.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-06-24 16:27:20 - last edited 2024-06-24 16:28:12

@Sunshine Thank you for taking time out to suggest potential problems and apologies for replying late.

I did went away did some additional test. The primay cause of the problem that I determined is that the LTE provider was not issuing a IPV 4 address. In other words, not a router issue, but a Mobile network issue.

What I did... Rest the Device and started clean. Then,

SIM1:  I was using the SIM of Reliance Jio, India (Provider 1). I figured that it wasn't issuing any IPV 4 address. See picture 1 below.

SIM 2: I used an Airtel SIM, India (Provider 2) to validate if it exhibit similar behaviour. Interestingly, this provider issued a IPV4 address. See Picture 2.

If anyone is not able to access an IPV address directly from their device connected to LTE router, then the culprit is likely your mobile network and not the TP Link product.

I intent to contact the customer care of the provider to check if this is a setting they can enable or we have have to live with IPV6. 

Picture 1 and Picture 2

Options
2024-06-25 14:56:57

@Sunshine I did further investigations and I believe there remains the primary issue of how to client device naviage to a IPV4 only address. There are instances, where the client device is trying to access a IPV4 host only - either by specifying the URL or by specifying the IPV4 address. However, the DNS (Auto provided by Jio Operator) is not resolving this and basically returns nothing. There is perhaps an issue with both Jio Network and this router model.

1. The local LAN only runs on IPV4 mode. While there is a provision to specify a IPV DNS resolver (eg: 8.8.8.8), it doesn't help as the Jio Network do not even issue a IPV4 address to the router. 

2. I wanted to try the Google DNS64 IP as manual DNS setting - however, there isn't any provision to manually provide IPV6 DNS Address as the router is hard coded to run only on IPV4. 

3. I am not a network expert but it appears that DNS64 facilitates communication between IPV6 only clients vs IPV4 only clients. Now, is this a configuration error at the Jio network's end or a hidden router configuration is not something I am able to opine. 

@Sunshine : Wondering, if there is any test that you are able to perform to check where the problem lies and what efforts that TP link is able to lead to engage with the mobile service provider if that is improtant to fix this error. I believe a collaboration effort will help.

Options