VPN server and access to LAN clients
VPN server and access to LAN clients
2024-07-02 12:09:56 - last edited 2024-07-02 12:14:31
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX53  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4555

Hello,

via the TP-Link Archer AX53 router, I set up an OpenVPN server for the purpose of remote access to the NVR (camera), which only has access to the LAN network.

Settings:

-LAN IP: 192.168.0.X

-OpenVPN IP: 10.08.0.X

-Client access set to Internet and Home network

I assume that due to different IPs when using VPN, I cannot access the cameras and other clients, e.g. printer (I can ping them). Given that OpenVPN (at least in the Android environment) does not support TAP mode, which would assign the same subnet on VPN, would it be necessary to change the settings already in the openvpn config or make static routing in router? Has anyone done something similar and can help?

P.S. on the LAN network via WIFI all things work with no problem, also on VPN, the internet is working fine.

Regards.

Options
2 Reply
Re:VPN server and access to LAN clients
2024-07-02 19:38:44

@jan95 

Hi,

Normally this should work out of the box. The VPN client should arrange for the proper routing. And given that you can ping the devices on your AX53's local network, the routing should be fine.
I never needed to adjust any settings on my TP-Link routers in order to be able to access local devices remotely through the router's VPN server.

But, I've always been wondering myself what would happen if the local network of the OpenVPN server and the local network of the client device running the VPN client software were using the same IP address range?
Are they different or identical in your case?

Options
Re:VPN server and access to LAN clients
2024-07-04 11:01:33 - last edited 2024-07-04 11:02:04

Hi,

today i reset my router to default settings and still no success. I'm accessing router via OpenVPN on my android phone on cellular data. So my private IP is 10.8.0.X.

The interesting thing is, that on one of the mobile phone i can access Reolink NVR cameras, on all others i can't - with the same settings.

What i also noticed is, that if i let NVR cameras access to Internet on TP-LINK router just for a test and then block access,

then all devices can access the cameras for a day or two.

Options