EasyMesh and Network Security

2024-07-10 13:25:46
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20240325 rel.56896(4555)

I'm using two Archer AX55 in EasyMesh configuration and I'm trying to improve the network security.

However it seems that most settings don't work as expected.

Access Control:

My first try was to add a MAC whitelist.

However the whitelist is apparently only respected by the main access point. The satellite doesn't doesn't care and still lets everyone connect.

I've only noticed this when my son complained that he has bad reception in certain areas. It turned out that I forgot to whitelist him and he could still connect, but only through the satellite.

Additionally, if the whitelist is enabled, the UI always states that there is no connection to the internet. However all devices can in fact connect to the internet without problems.

WPA2-Enterprise

Them I tried to use WPA2-Enterprise (RADIUS) as an alternative.

Again, this only seems to work on the main access point. The satellite lost connection to the rest of the network and just left its own network open and unsecured.

I'm using access point mode. I don't think that's relevant in this case though. I'm not 100% sure but I believe I've already tried to use the whitelist in router mode before, with the same effect.

TBH I'm a bit shocked how such basic stuff is not working. And even worse, it doesn't even warn you about it.

This has me worried a bit because I don't know what other settings that I made could compromise the security of my network.

I really appreciate the efforts to support EasyMesh, which is the reason why I decided to buy that specific model in the first place.

But it's really important that it actually works as configured and that all combinations of settings are tested. Especially when it comes to security.

And everything that is not supported/tested should be disabled.

Options
1 Reply
Re:EasyMesh and Network Security
2024-07-10 20:39:03

@Coriander 

From my testing, the AX55 satellite router in an EasyMesh network does not follow the main router in such things as access control and device isolation.  Nor does it mesh the guest and IoT networks.  If you use the satellite router in AP mode without EasyMesh, the access control and device isolation issues still remain.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 223

Replies: 1

Related Articles