Is this normal

Is this normal
Is this normal
2024-07-12 11:38:45
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi there.

I have my TP Link TL-WPA4220 KIT V2 connected to a Huawei b535 4G+ router at the back of the house (getting a full signal typically 40/20 Mb/s download/upload).   The WPA4220 is plugged in downstairs at the front of the house where there is poor WiFi signal.   Dispte the TPplc app reporting the data thoughput as c135Mbps on one and c123mbps on the other.  The results I'm getting are;

Round 1: 41Mb/s from the router 19Mb/s from the WPA4220

Round 2: 37Mb/s from the router 18Mb/s from the WPA4220

Round 3: 46Mb/s from the router 21Mb/s from the WPA4220

I know there are losses over PLA due to condition of wiring, noise on the ring main etc but I was hoping for better than 50% losses in a new build home.  I have tried power cycling them and recyncing them with little imporovement.   Is this the best I will get out of these?  Will faster newer ones improve the performance?

I have tried a Archer MR600 v1 but as I'm on 3 carrier agregation wont work so I only get 10-15MB/s + the loses over onemesh take it down to about 8-12Mb/s - I tink I have got 15 once!

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Is this normal
2024-07-12 20:56:08

@amtrakuk 

Hi,

Since you say your Powerline adapters are located "back of the house" and "front of the house" the results you are getting look reasonable.
I have a "AV500" set myself and if I place them at opposite ends of my apartment I get speeds similar to yours.

Whether "faster" ones will improve the performance cannot be said with certainty.

If you scroll down just a few posts in this forum you will find another user expressing dissatisfaction about the supposedly faster ones not being faster at all.
However, this is a somewhat unfortunate case. In most scenarios the "faster" ones do actually perform better.

Perhaps you could look for a retailer with a very good return policy to "test" a faster Powerline KIT and if you are not satisfied just return it?

Options
2024-07-13 07:28:50 - last edited 2024-07-13 07:30:18

@woozle thanks.   I've got some newer ones off eBay for a low price, I can give them a go and put them into the spairs box if needs be.   I've used them for a while in a very old house and appeared to be a great solution, but never had the need to crunch the figures.  Ive always known their not as good as cat 6 but hadn't realized the losses were so high across one floor.

woozle wrote

@amtrakuk 

Hi,

Since you say your Powerline adapters are located "back of the house" and "front of the house" the results you are getting look reasonable.
I have a "AV500" set myself and if I place them at opposite ends of my apartment I get speeds similar to yours.

Whether "faster" ones will improve the performance cannot be said with certainty.

If you scroll down just a few posts in this forum you will find another user expressing dissatisfaction about the supposedly faster ones not being faster at all.
However, this is a somewhat unfortunate case. In most scenarios the "faster" ones do actually perform better.

Perhaps you could look for a retailer with a very good return policy to "test" a faster Powerline KIT and if you are not satisfied just return it?

Options
2024-08-12 09:48:31 - last edited 2024-08-12 09:50:55

@woozle 

I got some BT gigabit WiFi PLAs that seem to be working better.   Throughput is great so maybe it could be a speed issue - only issue is there is very limited admin tools.   Only issue I need to look into is my Chromebook is not seeing the printer - Could be something simple 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 3

Related Articles