Deco BE85 - How to manually change wireless channel selection & Browser Interface

Deco BE85 - How to manually change wireless channel selection & Browser Interface

2024-07-24 16:48:04 - last edited 2024-07-24 16:58:14
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18

Hello all. 

I am the proud new owner of 2x Deco BE85 Mesh Routers. Since exploring the configuration interface, I have a few questions. Note that I am running the routers in AP Mode.

1. I can see that via the Deco app that you can "Optimize" the wireless and have the routers automatically select the best wireless channels to use. However I cannot see how to set the channels manually. Is this hidden in a sub menu? If there is no ability to manually change the channels, where would I make a feature request? Every other router I have ever owned allows you to manually select channels and the Deco BE85 should not be an exception. 

2. I was dissappointed to see that the web Interface (accessed via device IP) is woeful with respect to the ability to configure the routers. I would expect parity between what you can configure through the app and the web interface. I see no reason why you would "Force" configuration through the app and essentially gimp the web interface. Are there plans to allow for the same configuration abilities with the app to be extended to the web interface? 

Every other router I have owned, even if it comes with a companion app, still has full configurability via the web interface, so this struck me as odd.

3. Is there an ability to backup/restore the routers configuration? 

Many thanks in advance for your time. I plan on doing a formal review on these items and feedback/outcomes of the above will be included.

Regards,

P

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco BE85 - How to manually change wireless channel selection & Browser Interface
2024-07-25 03:44:49 - last edited 2024-07-25 03:48:57

@Panzerscope 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

I'm afraid Deco products don't support customizing the wireless channels yet and It should automatically analyze the wireless environment and select the most suitable channels for optimal performance.

Currently, the primary management tool for Deco products is the Deco APP. The web user interface (UI) serves as a supplementary control tool so the configurations on the web UI might not be as sufficient as the Deco APP.

It is planned to support " Backup/Restore" via Deco APP later via a future firmware upgrade. In the meantime, switching a new Deco or satellite Deco to the main Deco can be done seamlessly via the Deco app without losing any previous configurations.- How to replace the main Deco with another Deco

Thanks again for your understanding and support.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco BE85 - How to manually change wireless channel selection & Browser Interface
2024-07-27 18:26:15

@David-TP 

Hello David, 

That is dissappointing to here. While auto channel selection should be an option, so should manual selection as per industry standard, I say industry standard as many other routers from your competitors offer this basic feature. Will TP Link be introducing this in the future? I ask as this will determine my future purchase decisions. 

Again, sad to see that the app seems to be the only way to properly configure the deco devices. Again, as per industry standard the Web UI should be the primary method and the app a supplentary method/choice. Not sure why TP Link has gotten this backwards for the Deco series. Looking at this thread here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/531350?replyId=1388300 

It looks like there is a large call for proper Web UI management. Will TP Link consider this ? Again this will determine my future purchase decisions, without proper Web UI, I would not be able to consider TP Link any further.

I am glad to hear there will be a Backup/Restore feature implemented. Regardless of how seamless it is to re-setup the devices a backup/restore procedure should be available. 

I also noticed there is no way to lock down a Wireless band to a device via MAC whitelisting, this is again a fairly basic feature. Will TP Link be adding this in? 

Thanks.

Options
2024-07-28 02:52:00

@Panzerscope 

There are TP-Link emulators for the various systems that give you a feel for what the admin GUI looks like. It appears the Archer line has more of the settings you may be after? How current these emulators are though I have no clue. You can play with the emulators here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/emulator/

According to the below think though, the Deco line seems to be the only, at least currently, that can aggregate over the wired backhaul.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3749/

Options
2024-07-28 17:04:07

@DecoBE75 

I do not think you understand what I am saying to TP Link. I am stating they should have a proper Web GUI to allow for proper configuration of devices, rather than using an app, which is limited. This has nothing to do with emulation. 

Also no idea why you have bought up aggregation over wired as a backhaul? I did not say anything about that.

Options
2024-07-28 20:35:01

@Panzerscope 

The Archer line has a much richer web interface that you seem to be wanting. I was suggesting perhaps you get an Archer model versus a Deco. Simiarly, you could try out the emulators to see if they meet your needs. Thats it.

The Deco's have the app based interface only. (Okay, they do have a web interface, but it is VERY limited.)

From a feature and technology perspective, both lines are really close.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 274

Replies: 5

Related Articles