Please help the wifi is making me problems with my
Please help the wifi is making me problems with my
2024-08-06 00:30:09 - last edited 2024-08-07 23:00:42
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.5 build 20240718 Rel. 44414

I have some problems with my mesh

I have these Decos

3 X55 (one is the main principal, all of them connected by ethernet)

2 X60 (one connected by ethernet and other by Wifi)

1 X50 Outdoor (connected by Wifi)

And a TP-Link TL-SG108 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch to do the ethernet connection with the Decos.

I have an internet service of 350MB (download/upload), and I have almost 60 appliances in my home like Echos(Alexas), security cameras (Eufy), Smart TVs, cellphones, computers, smart light switchs, etc..

The first problem is... only I get 200-250MB either in the Decos that are connected by ethernet, but never 300 or more.

The other problem is that I am suffering for example in the Smart TVs lost connection of the internet or very slow connection then I swith the wifi connection to the main router (the one of the internet company) and then fixes, another times I can´t do the connection with the Wifi of the Decos, with the security cameras always have a lot of connection problems, the image in the app was very slow or I can´t open the camera (image), so many problems with the connection for the cameras so I decided to connect them (almost all) the the Router of the Internet supplier and the problem was solved, the cameras are working fine since then, with the Smart Light Swtichs I have like 16 and some of them lose the internet connection so is frustrating because all works with Alexa, also have problem with the cellphones sometimes the internet is slow and other times can´t do connection with the Wifi of the Decos.

The fix that I do to solve all this is to restart the Decos and then all fine again but i need to do this several times in the day, also I set the restart in the night every day but then the problem to do this is in the morning some of the appliances don´t have internet connection.

So all this is very frustrating because I spent a ot of money to buy the Decos and the ethernet cable installation to have a very nice Wifi Mesh but I can´t have it as you see.  =(

Any tips, suggestions or help can you give me to try to solve my problem?, really thank you so much in advance!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Please help the wifi is making me problems with my -Solution
2024-08-06 14:39:50 - last edited 2024-08-07 23:00:51

@mariocaz 

It is possible that your Main Deco X55 can't handle the load. Here is what you can do to reduce load on Main Deco and this could stabilize your Deco mesh:

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

2. With Deco mesh running in Access Point mode, connect TP-Link TL-SG108 switch directly to ISP Router. Connect Main Deco to TP-Link TL-SG108 switch. This will be your new Deco mesh setup:

Note that Step 2 will only work in Access Point mode, which means you must do Step 1 first and only after confirming Deco mesh is OK - proceed with Step 2.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-07 19:26:26 - last edited 2024-08-07 23:00:42

@mariocaz 

Fast Roaming and Beamforming are "nice to have" features. They are not required for Deco mesh to work. You can turn them off if they cause issues. What they do you can find in their description in Deco app.

Smart DHCP must be OFF.

-------------------

Older devices, such as security cameras, may have issues with WiFi mesh. Not only with Deco, but with any brand of WiFi mesh. It is good workaround to keep such device connected to ISP Router. 

In the future, there will be time when you will be replacing security cameras or buying additional devices. When you do, look for devices that support WiFi5 - those are most likely to work with Deco mesh without issues. 

The reason is quite simple: devices that only run on 2.4GHz may have their WiFi code written before WiFi mesh became common at households. Their code may assume single WiFi router broadcasting WiFi signal - and gets confused when there are multiple WiFi nodes all broadcasting same SSID/password. WiFi5 appeared about same time as WiFi mesh became popular - device that supports WiFi 5 more likely to have its code written by developers with WiFi mesh experience.

Recommended Solution
Options
24 Reply
Re:Please help the wifi is making me problems with my
2024-08-06 08:06:17

@mariocaz 

Hi

For the speed issue, you could go to Deco APP > more > QoS to disable it or remove all priority devices.
Is 200-250mbps the wireless speed? It is recommended that you only keep one device connected to the Deco when measuring speed. After that, please refer to the following link to test the link speed and share it with us:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

For the unstable client issue, you could refer to the link below to do some troubleshooting:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/412552

Warm regards.

Options
2024-08-06 14:39:50 - last edited 2024-08-07 23:00:51

@mariocaz 

It is possible that your Main Deco X55 can't handle the load. Here is what you can do to reduce load on Main Deco and this could stabilize your Deco mesh:

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

2. With Deco mesh running in Access Point mode, connect TP-Link TL-SG108 switch directly to ISP Router. Connect Main Deco to TP-Link TL-SG108 switch. This will be your new Deco mesh setup:

Note that Step 2 will only work in Access Point mode, which means you must do Step 1 first and only after confirming Deco mesh is OK - proceed with Step 2.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-06 17:44:45

@Alexandre. 

Oh I didn´t know that, of course I will try it and let you know the result, really thank you so much for help me in this bro.!!  =)

Options
2024-08-06 21:24:44 - last edited 2024-08-06 21:52:28

@Alexandre. 

Ok I did it, now my Mesh is configured as an Acces Point and right now all is working fine and wow I see a lot more internet speed for example in my computer, always I hace 200MB or less and right now I have 310MB so wow!!, but of course I need more time to see if my problems are fixed (I really hope so!!)

I have 2 questions for you... Do I need to disable the Wifi in the Router of the Internet company ??, because all my security cameras are connected to this wifi right now and are working fine.

And do you prefer to have AP instead of Router mode in your Decos for example my case that I have a Smart home with a lot of equipment that requires wifi ?, I noticed I have 88 appliances in my home (Alexas, led lights, cameras, smart tv´s, computers, cellphones, etc hehe)

Again thank you so much for your help bro!!!

Options
2024-08-07 02:35:46

@Alexandre. 

Also I configured the preferred signal source on the Deco App but only my X50 Outdoor Deco have this feature, in the X55 and X60 this option is not in the APP don´t know why, very sad.

This option only is enabled if the Deco is connected by Wifi instead of Ethernet ? or both ?

Options
2024-08-07 12:36:37 - last edited 2024-08-07 13:38:43

@mariocaz 

If you have not done Step 2 yet, please do. With Step 1 you improved Deco mesh performance, but it is Step 2 that truly offloads Main Deco from unnecessary work. After Step 2, your Deco mesh should be as following:

After Step 2, and if Deco mesh is stable, I suggest to start configuring security cameras to connect to Deco mesh. 

In case Deco mesh can handle all security cameras (and I expect it will in this Deco mesh configuration), and there is nothing connected to Router, you can disable Router WiFi. Having ISP Router broadcast WiFi signal will not be necessary when everything connects to Deco mesh.

My personal preference is to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, when there is ISP Router present. In its default "Router" mode Main Deco must handle LAN management (IP address alocations and such) as well as WiFi mesh management. This taxes CPU and RAM utilization for Main Deco, especially when there are many devices connected to Deco mesh.

With Deco running in AP mode, ISP Router CPU runs LAN management and Main Deco CPU is only dedicated to WiFi mesh, which will improve Deco mesh performance.

Also, in AP mode, you can wire all Deco units as it is on diagram above. Any device connected to Deco unit will pass its traffic through the switch to ISP Router to Internet and back, not through Main Deco.

Finally, in AP mode you can use all Ethernet ports on ISP Router as they are on the same LAN as Deco mesh. For example, I have Synology file server - it is connected directly to the ISP Router and accessible with no issues from anywhere on my home network.

----------

As for Connection Preference feature. You can only use it on Satellite Deco that are wirelessly connected to the rest of Deco mesh. The point of this feature is to have connection between wireless Deco unit the way you find most optimal. For Deco unit that is Ethernet wired, this feature does not make sense - Ethernet link is always the optimal, so you would not see it for Ethernet wired Deco units.

You can do the test, if you want to: unplug hardwired Satellite Deco from Ethernet cable, wait till it establishes WiFi link and see in Deco app if Connection Preference option appeared for that Deco. It should.

Options
2024-08-07 15:03:51 - last edited 2024-08-07 15:25:17

@Alexandre. 

Hi Bro, yes of course I did the step 2 (exactly as your diagram)

With X60 Is WiFi because I dont hace ethernet cable there and Is not the option of the prefered signal I think I have V1 or V2 of the X60 and sadly no update in the firmware since a while, but I Will checo if one of the X55 when I dissconect It to the ethernet then appears the signal prefered option AND if yes I Will switch It with the X60

Also want to ask you if I need to enable the Smart DHCP option in the Deco App?

And fast roaming? And beamforming? If yes what do these ones do ?

In the night I enabled the fast roaming only to see what happened and a lot of ítems dissconected It to the wifi, like the smart tvs, the cameras top AND I couldnt conmected It again until I disabled fast roaming again.

For the camera I have one that Is still making me problem with the Deco wifi, Is very strange the camera see the Deco wifi AND I can conmect It but I see the signal very poor in the camera, I did test with my phone AND the signal Is powerful but in the camera ls poor so Is not working fine at all like this so I conmected It again to the wifi of the internet company and then the camera works fine again (the signal there of the wifi of internet company Is poor there), I Will try to do a IoT wifi to see if this solve the problem, but I am esceptic, right now I have some of my eufy cameras conmected tonthe decos wifi AND aré working fine.

Thanks again so much

Options
2024-08-07 19:26:26 - last edited 2024-08-07 23:00:42

@mariocaz 

Fast Roaming and Beamforming are "nice to have" features. They are not required for Deco mesh to work. You can turn them off if they cause issues. What they do you can find in their description in Deco app.

Smart DHCP must be OFF.

-------------------

Older devices, such as security cameras, may have issues with WiFi mesh. Not only with Deco, but with any brand of WiFi mesh. It is good workaround to keep such device connected to ISP Router. 

In the future, there will be time when you will be replacing security cameras or buying additional devices. When you do, look for devices that support WiFi5 - those are most likely to work with Deco mesh without issues. 

The reason is quite simple: devices that only run on 2.4GHz may have their WiFi code written before WiFi mesh became common at households. Their code may assume single WiFi router broadcasting WiFi signal - and gets confused when there are multiple WiFi nodes all broadcasting same SSID/password. WiFi5 appeared about same time as WiFi mesh became popular - device that supports WiFi 5 more likely to have its code written by developers with WiFi mesh experience.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-08 18:35:28

@Alexandre. 

I don´t know why but after I switched to AP mode in my Decos, now this camera (Eufy Floolight S330) can´t connect it to any of my both Wifi signals (Internet company router and Deco), really very strange!!, also I created a Wifi for the IoT and the same no luck, but I did the test to connect to the Mobile Hotspot of my Cellphone and it works can connect it here and works fine again, so I don´t know what else to do really  =( 

Do you think this could be a solution for my problem and connect it very near of this camera ? (for the cost maybe could do a try, but please tell me what do you think)

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750-WiFi-Range-Extender/dp/B07Z9PVCCB/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_pe_im_d1_hxwPPE_sspa_dk_det_p_9?pd_rd_i=B07Z9PVCCB&pd_rd_w=OEwza&content-id=amzn1.sym.47261431-8397-42bb-87d1-8f7478c51b71&pf_rd_p=47261431-8397-42bb-87d1-8f7478c51b71&pf_rd_r=GS6MQB034HGVKMNN97RJ&pd_rd_wg=ZbRQF&pd_rd_r=63c17ca2-2229-4d2e-9dc8-a9cedbbcc5a0

And I will need to disable Fast Roaming because I noticed some items don´t want to connect to the Wifi of the Deco, so I will test if this is the problem

Options
2024-08-08 19:35:31

mariocaz wrote

@Alexandre. 

I don´t know why but after I switched to AP mode in my Decos, now this camera (Eufy Floolight S330) can´t connect it to any of my both Wifi signals (Internet company router and Deco), really very strange!!,

@mariocaz 

You must run ISP Router WiFi with different SSID from Deco mesh SSID.

If/when you have that, try connecting Eufy camera to ISP Router SSID. If it still can't connect, power off all Deco units and try connecting Eufy camera to ISP Router SSID again. If that also fails, you now don't have Deco mesh in the picture and the problem is not Deco mesh related.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 773

Replies: 24

Related Articles