Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network

Released On: 2022-09-19 09:33:42Last update time: 2023-04-20 06:04:20

An unstable connection would be caused by many factors. Careful observation with some troubleshooting points might lead in the right direction.

Please refer to these troubleshooting steps to fix:

>All Deco units randomly turned red.

>Single satellite Deco randomly turned red while other Mesh units remained green/white.

>Devices stay connected but could not load any websites.

>Devices kept disconnecting and reconnecting to the network within a few seconds.

I. All Deco units randomly turned to flash red

Step 1. Check the cables and connections

Sometimes loose, disconnected, or damaged cables can cause connection issues.
1. Make sure all the provided Ethernet cables are connected securely and replace the cables which are old and exposed.
2. Make sure only the main Deco is directly connected to the ISP modem, especially when it is on default wireless router mode

Step 2. Check the internet service and ISP modem

An internet service outage is the first thing that needs to be checked. To check the service quality, follow these steps:

1. Unplug/re-plug the internet cable to the modem.
2. Wire a PC or an old router directly into your ISP modem when the main Deco turned red.
3. Please contact ISP first if the PC and old router could not get internet either.

Step 3. Restart the main Deco

If the internet is restored this time, it's suggested to collect the following information and email to support later when the main Deco turned red again:

1. Save a screenshot of the IPV4 settings under Deco APP > More > Advanced.
2. How often did the disconnection happen?
3. Who is the internet service provider and the model number of your cable modem?

Step 4*. Special Reference Cases

During the troubleshooting with our users, some unusual situations have been found to cause the disconnection of the main Deco.

Please check these settings while you are waiting for technical support.

1. The Advanced firewall settings on the ISP router blocked Deco. such as Home Security System on the ATT router.

2. Even though there are more than one Ethernet ports on the ISP router, only one of them is able to provide internet service, such as Verizon Fios G1100

3. There is another DHCP server apart from the ISP modem router that is able to assign IP addresses, such as Zmodo devices

II. Satellite Deco randomly turned to flash red

The distance and obstacles are more likely to cause the problem.

Step 1. Place Deco in clear sight, not in a closed cupboard or too close to the ceiling.

Please refer to How can I find a suitable spot for my Deco?

Step 2: Make sure the signal source is 2.4ghz/5ghz with at least 2 bars of signal strength.

• If it is less than 2 bars,  Please move this satellite Deco closer to the signal source unit.
  • The wired connection usually provides a more stable and faster connection. So connecting Decos via cables is always a good choice if possible.
  • If the satellite Deco is already on Ethernet Backhaul, please refer to Q5+Q6 on General questions about the Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco.

Step 3*: Disconnect the home antivirus system, such as Circle/Bark Home.

You will find more details on Several issues you may encounter when a Circle device connects to your network.

Step 4*: Remove the Soundbar/HDMI devices that are working on the same wireless frequency.

More details could be found on Will Soundbar or Soundwoofer cause 5GHz slowness?

Step 5: Switch the location of the satellites in case the disconnection follows a specific unit.

Step 6: Contact us.

Email to support with the following information:
1. A picture of the Network Map screenshot on the web UI-Deco web interface login.
2. How often did this issue happen?
3. How to recover the connection? By rebooting the Deco or connection comes back automatically?

III. Several devices lose connection frequently

If it is specific to one device only, Please refer to the following tips:

1. Check on the device manufacturer's site to see whether a new driver or software version is available for upgrade.
2. Replace the current Ethernet cable if the device is on a wired connection.
3*. Google around to see if there is any known issue about this device from its community.

• If the devices are Sky Q boxes and Sonos Speakers, the following suggestions would help.

Connect Sky Q to TP-Link Deco Mesh
Connect Sonos Speakers to TP-Link Deco Mesh

Please refer to the following troubleshooting steps if the devices are random:

Step 1: Disable “Fast Roaming” and “Beamforming” under Deco APP > More > Advanced.

Step 2: Turn off “Mesh Technology” on mobile devices.

Step 3: Enable the Guest Network for 2.4G or 5G only and connect the devices to the Guest Network.

Step 4: Contact us

Email to support with the following information:
1. What are the model numbers of devices that dropped out frequently?
2. Would they still connect to the Wi-Fi but have no internet or the Wi-Fi has been disconnected already?
3. How to recover the connection? By rebooting the device or connection comes back automatically?
4. Please send us a picture of your network topology.

Comment

I have a deco xe75 the worst router I ever had. 

KEEPS losing the signal and disconnecting from the network has the lates firmware but still same issue and the app doesn't show you nothing. My 5 year old  asus rauter works better that this and faster 

Worst purchase I made

I had my M4R (1200) trio for 3 years now, was great. No interventions or reboots required, ever. Now in the last month, I have to beboot my Main deco at least 2 times per week, very annoying. Unsure what killed it's stability, new firmware, ? I get up in the morning to find all Deco on steady Red.  Unsually a reboot of the Main deco will fix the issue. Sometimes I have to also reboot my ISP modem first.  So far, I never had to factory reset the unit and reconfigure everything.

I will try the fix that manually sets the DNS server to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4.

I am starting to think that these devices have a "time to live" or lifespan and that after 3 years, it's now gotten flaky and may require to be replaced / upgraded.

It works flawlessly for the majority of the 3 years. Sigh

Today I am really sorry I ever bought 2 new X55 decos.  The instability has gotten out of hand.  Spending more money on these has not helped at all.

I have the same issues with an XE75. Was very happy with my M9Pro but after the switch to XE75 the network is very unstable. Support here blaming everything but the XE75 while I read more people have stability problems. Likely to throw them out and go for Linksys Mesh.

BlUS

To disable above features is very nonse. Because we are buying the deco units for this features. If have a bug releating this features its must fix instead of disable. 

What's the point of buying a mesh system when you need to disable mesh to have a stable/usable connection ?

That's pure nonsense, avoid these at all costs and tp-link do something to have those working or refund customers so we can buy a real mesh system.

I had an old TP-Link router for 10 years, which worked excellently. I wanted to upgrade to WiFi 6 and Mesh, so I spent €350 to pick up a pack of three Deco X60 due to my previous positive history with the brand.

Now every few times I turn on my computer, TV, or anything else that has been disconnected from the WiFi for a longer time, they are unable to reconnect to the internet.

After about 5-10 minutes, the connection "picks up" suddenly, and internet starts flowing to the device.

• While the device is struggling to reconnect, other already connected devices are happily browsing without issue.
  • The device is connected to the WiFi, but with "limited, no internet access", and is not listed under Connected Devices in the Deco interface.
  • I have never had a connected device "lose" their connection, only issue has been with reconnecting.
  • It seems to only happen to devices that are already known to the network - not if it's the first time a device connects.
  • This happens to all sorts of devices: Samsung TV, Chromecast, Phone, MacBook. Exact same problem, one device at a time.

I tried downgrading to a single router, turning off "Fast Roaming", "Beam Forming", turning off "Mesh Technology" on individual connected devices, all the fancy features (and some would say, the reasons for buying these routers) are all off, but still, every 3rd time I turn on my TV, computer, or phone, I have to wait 5-10 minutes before the WiFi accepts the reconnection.

Garbage!

What the BLEEEP is happening TP-Link???

I spotted @Havi above also got some x55's, same as me, I bought my 3 pack only 2 weeks ago.

I'm having constant disconnect problems with some of my network devices.

Deco x55 firmware has been updated on all 3 nodes, directly after setting up my network.

There are no Ethernet backhaul connections between nodes.

The items disconnecting are 3 Meross Mini smart switches (model mss110, I have 4 in total and the 4th one which remains connected is the closest to its x55, within 3 metres). The 3 that frequently disconnect are in a range varying from as little as 3m inside the house to approx 12m to a shed outside.

The one that is 3m to its closest x55 is in the kitchen (acting as a timer for a casserole cooker) and its nearest x55 is located directly above through the floor in a bedroom right above - there is however a steel lintel between them! Obviously this implies the steel lintel is a major barrier and must be reducing the strength of the signal.

I also have 3 x larger energy monitoring Meross smart plugs (model mss310). These maintain connection reliably, despite them being much longer distance away outside the house, in a couple of wooden sheds, one is about 25m away but despite this greater distance it never disconnects.

All these smart plugs are on the latest firmware version.

I think the mss110 smart plugs must have very small antennas in them. They are really very compact devices.

The mss310 smart plugs on the other hand are not that much larger, but I presume there is a significant difference of the antenna size or design that makes them completely reliable.

I have read many reviews on Amazon for various brands of smart plugs which are identical size/design as the Meross mss110 smart plugs, and many people complain of all of them (not just Meross) suffering from disconnects. I am sure most of these brands all sell the same manufactured identical product, just rebadged for different vendors, and which are really not fit for purpose, i.e. their antennas are too small or poorly designed.

Additionally I have 1 x LifX Smart Bulb, and this is also constantly reported as disconnecting (sometimes every couple of minutes, but also longer times like up to an hour before it disconnects), but generally reconnecting about 1 minute later. The LifX bulb is about 4m away from the closest x55 (from Bedroom on 1st floor to my Study below on the ground floor where the main Deco node lives).

I also have a Schneider Wiser Smart Heating system (this uses Zigbee to monitor room temperatures and open/close Smart radiator valves).

The Wiser app connects over 2.4Ghz IoT wifi to control the heating system Smart Hub. This stays connected and works reliably.

However, I wonder if this Zigbee network is causing interference affecting some of the mss110 smart plugs?

All these devices live in my IoT LAN 2.4Ghz (there are 15 devices total, and the above described Meross and LifX products which constantly reported offline).

I have setup Connection Alerts for the failing devices to send emails so I know exactly the times of disconnect/reconnect.

I have experimented at great length with the Deco settings as follows;

• Fast roaming is disabled (I don't use it).
  • Beamforming, it is enabled, but disabling has NOT helped.
  • Reserving IP address for the failing devices, this has not helped.
  • Preferred Deco, tried changing from Auto to select the nearest Deco for each of the disconnecting devices.
  • Preferred Wifi-Band, changed from Auto to 2.4Ghz, although the iOT LAN is already set for 2.4Ghz.
  • High Priority (QoS), turned on for each failing device, no improvement.
  • Mesh Technology, turned OFF on each failing device.

I have also tried re-booting just individual Decos, and/or reboot the whole network between changing items like Beamforming, Mesh Technology, Preferred Deco in case it requires a complete restart to take effect.

None of these have helped improve things.

I have also tried the More>Network Optimization to choose better Channels, but this never seems to select sensible alternative channels.

It's a real annoyance you don't allow us to MANUALLY select channels to avoid interference from other networks!!!

I have read many posts in this community by other Deco users requesting the ability to manually change Channels (rather than relying on the poorly implemented Network Optimisation feature), and it appears TP-Link are steadfastly refusing to allow us to do this despite users asking for this since 2019. My god, that's almost 5 years!! Why won't you do this so that we can at least try? This is so incredibly annoying!

Regarding the mss110 smart plugs I'm certain you will agree this seems like a signal strength problem.

And maybe interference from other networks or even the Zigbee network causes disconnects?

But I have a question/thought about this.

I think the transmission signal FROM Deco TO the mss110 is satisfactory, since the switches will operate properly when controlled from the Meross app.

But could it be that the small antenna in the mss110 does not send a strong enough signal back to the Deco, so the Deco cannot "hear" the mss110, and thinks it has lost connection, but the mss110 is saying, yes I'm here everything is ok.

What criteria does the Deco (or any mesh system) use to determine a disconnect?

Could it be that the problem is also exacerbated by the antenna inside the Decos not being large enough, i.e. low Receiver Sensitivity?

Does TP-Link actually know the real reasons for the problems but won't admit something is wrong (like bad hardware design) and therefore there is no point in providing a fix for channel selection?

Another thought;

Presumably all devices on the network are NTP time synchronized to the exact second.

If beacons from many different devices indicating presence of each device are sent to the Deco all at exactly the same time, will this cause data collisions in the network?

Is some kind of delay introduced into the network to encourage each device responding in a more polite or sequential manner so as to minimize wifi data collisions, and therefore not overwhelm devices with weaker antenna signals?

If weaker signals get ignored do they get classed as offline/disconnected?

I don't understand exactly what kind of handshaking goes on in terms of radio physics and conversion to digital information.

If a transmission from a device fails to be received by the Deco due to poor signal, when does it get requested again?

Is the Deco failing to request a response from the client device again, or not retrying enough times?

It would be great for some honesty and proper explanation of the whole situation?

Why has it taken 5 years for you to do absolutely nothing to resolve the issues!?

Thank you

Jim

Update next day 01/04/2024:-

More testing. I brought all the Meross mss110 plugs into one room with good strong signal (100% reported in the Meross app).

I also turned off my Wiser heating system to see if Zigbee might have been causing an issue. No change.

I completely factory reset all the Meross mss110 plugs and reconfigured them on the network. After this the Deco mesh is still reporting they are disconnecting/offline.

The Deco doesn't update the status very quickly, and while it says they are offline, I can use the Meross app connected to the same Wifi network to turn the switches off/on repeatedly no trouble at all. It wouldn't be able to do this if they are not connected to the network.

So it appears that the Deco is not telling the truth!

Or it detects a momentary disconnect, but takes far too long to update the reconnect, giving the impression that the devices are still offline.

Plus the Deco also sends a Connection Alert email to me.

So something really isn't right here.

Seems to be too sensitive, or needs to double-check the offline status.

I hope all this testing helps you uncover the issue.

upload
    upload