Can Sky Q work with Deco?

Used Products:

What’s Sky Q? How does it work?

Sky Q is a subscription-based television and entertainment service operated by British satellite television provider Sky. The name also refers to the Sky Q set-top box. It includes a Sky Q box, Sky Q mini box, a Sky Q Hub, and a Sky Q remote.

Here we mainly introduce the Sky Q box and Sky Q Mini box:
Sky Q box is an STB (Set-Top Box) that replaces the traditional Sky+ or Sky+ HD box under your TV. It includes different models with different memory (1TB&2TB) to back up videos. It connects to the router via Wi-Fi or cable to go to the internet.
Sky Q mini box is placed in other rooms and connects to the main Sky Q box, either by Wi-Fi, cable, or via powerline networking, and then you can view the Sky content in other rooms.

Can Sky Q box work with Deco?

The Sky Q box can work with Deco.

In general, when Sky engineers install Sky Q boxes and/or install additional Sky Q Mini boxes, they configure them to have wireless switched on (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). 
•    a 2.4 GHz connection (only) to connect your Sky Q box to your existing Wi-Fi network/broadband connection.
•    a 5 GHz connection to connect your Sky Q box to any Sky Q Mini box.

However, when Sky Q box and Sky Q mini box are connected wirelessly because stream video easily takes up most of the bandwidth, and their own Wi-Fi may be also causing interference to the router's Wi-Fi network, so when they are working, there may be a slow or unstable problem occurs in the network. 

The wired connection is faster and more stable than a wireless connection, wire the Sky Q box to the router, and wire Sky Q mini box to the sky Q box will reduce Wi-Fi interference in the network and release Wi-Fi capacity for other broadband applications, in this case, the network will be more stable and perform better thus we suggest building a wired sky Q network.

What can I do if Sky Q can’t work with Deco?

Problem Phenomenon:
Currently, we have encountered issues such as the Sky Q box and Sky Q Mini box freezing when connecting to Deco, Deco or the connected devices have unstable or slow speed problems when the Sky Q box is connected, etc.

Suggestion:
1) The Sky Q box for some reason sends out an SSDP broadcast storm that causes the network issues, the sky company has released a new firmware QR16 for the sky q box. It’s suggested to update the firmware of the Sky Q box to the latest one.
https://community.sky.com/t5/Archive/Sky-Q-box-interfering-with-Wifi/td-p/3537302 

2) Simplify the network diagram, and connect the Sky Q box to the main deco only to have a try.

3) Turn off the Fast Roaming, Beamforming, Mesh Technology on the Deco APP for the Sky Q main box and mini box.

4) Set up a wired sky Q network, connect the  Sky Q main box to the main Deco via a cable, then connect the Sky Q mini box to the nearest satellite Deco nodes via cable as well, turn off the Sky Q Wi-Fi used for internal communication between the main box and mini box.

Comment

Does/did number 4 from above work? Thats something that i may be able to do.

@silversmudge 

Hi, welcome to the community.

They are step-by-step suggestions and are also recommended by Sky Q support. If the mini boxes work well after turning off Fast Roaming, Beamforming, and Mesh Technology, we don't have to connect them all via cables but Ethernet cables do guarantee better communication.

Numbers 1 and 2 are to confirm that Deco could work with the Sky Q main box. Number 3 tried to avoid the influence that Sky Q boxes might not support the Mesh/Roaming protocol. Number 4 is trying to provide a clear communication path between Sky Q boxes. In other words, if you have completed all 1+2+3, but the mini boxes are still buffering, I tend to think the internal communication between the Sky main box and mini boxes might interfere with nearby Wireless signals.

I checked your other post-637176. Is your current network layout like:

Sky service----Sky Q hub/router---Netgear Switch----main Deco X55-----<WiFi>-------Sky Q main box

\-----------------------------------------<cable>------Sky Q mini box

note: Deco X55 is in AP mode.

Are you able to make it the other way around, like connect the main box by an Ethernet cable, and connect the mini box by WiFi? But it would be great to connect both of them via Ethernet cables.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

My current layout is exactly as your diagram above. I should be able to do a cable from the main Deco to the Sky Q main box if that's what you mean.

Do i still keep the Deco's in AP mode?

Do i keep the mini box cabled to the switch or do i put that cable to the 2nd Deco and patch it to the mini box? (does it pay to have the 2nd Deco wired?)

Do i have to un tick -Enable WiFi Access Point, Enable WPS, & Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) from within the Sky routers settings page?

Do i lose any functionality if i turn off Fast Roaming, Beamforming, & Mesh Technology. Is that all done easily from the App?

Will i have to do anything in the two Sky boxes re Network/WiFi?

Sorry for all the questions, you have been very helpful so far, and its very much appreciated and repairs my faith in humanity!

I really want this to all work.

Kind Regards

Hi

Ive done what you said and it all seems to be working. Deco's are solid and the hard wired boxes should of been a job for me years ago. Thanks for all your help.

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions