Help with Archer T4U plus V1

2024-08-10 01:54:23 - last edited 2024-08-10 01:56:24
Model: Archer T4U Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello, I'm sincerely going insane. I bought an Archer T4U plus, the back says US 1.0. I'm using windows 10, up to date.

I'm from the 3rd world, this is the only wifi usb adapter I could find that supports 5.0. I can't use an Ethernet cable and my graphics card is too big so a wifi component can't fit in my motherboard.

I have installed 3 different drivers already, plus all the suggested solutions I could find here or other forums. No matter what I install or do, my Archer T4U plus cuts off when downloading big files (more than 1GB) or using too much data (playing online while talking for example). I'm pretty certain it's this device, no other computer or phone in my house has this problem, and I notice that all the wifi options in windows get stuck

I tried:

The recommended driver by TP link: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-t4u-plus/v1/

Which I assumed to have a malfunction with Microsoft drivers by another post in this forum, since I hear the connect/disconnect sound when the issue happens, but with this it's worse since it also randomly disconnects after some time, even when doing nothing.

So, I uninstalled the entire device and drivers and tried the default Microsoft driver, it doesn't disconnect the device randomly but it still cuts off my internet at high usage and I have to wait or manually disconnect and reconnect the device. If I have a large file it cuts off every 2-5 GB downloaded

Lastly, this Realtek driver: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/509006
This is the newest one I could find. Similar to the Microsoft one, but has much less "tolerance". It cuts off sooner

I have also tried doing all the energy options in all the windows configurations, from all usb devices (root USB and the wifi devise itself) and the global energy options.

The only thing I have left to try is forcing windows to ignore drivers signatures to see if I can make the official TP link drivers work. But, I don't really want to compromise my computer and prevent myself from playing games that require anti-cheat software. And even if it works, I think that is the worst possible solution and I really would like to avoid it.

Does anyone have any kind of solution? Do I really have to buy another device? This has been my worst experience with any computer device by far

Options
2 Reply
Re:Help with Archer T4U plus V1
2024-08-10 16:29:23

@Pochoclo 

Hi,

The thing is that all USB Wi-Fi adapters in this price range are nowadays using the same series of chips from Realtek. (and hence share the same issues)

In case there is a considerable second-hand market available in your country, then you could try to find an older AC1200 USB Wi-Fi adapter that uses a chip from MediaTek (MT7612U). They aren't completely trouble-free either, but might just work for you.

Options
Re:Help with Archer T4U plus V1
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Update: I kept trying the different drivers, but came back to the default Microsoft one. And now I have two "SW" processes, runSW (32 bits) and Switch USB2.0/USB3.0 for WinXP SP2+ - Win10 (32 bits)

This has somehow drastically improved the device, I managed to download 64 gigs uninterrupted, so for now it seems fixed.

Still better than before, but the random cutoffs are back, I still have to manually disconnect and reconnect

I don't really know the exact order of this setup, but I think the solution is to install the realtek chipset drivers from here: 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/509006

And then force the device drivers to be from Microsoft

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 144

Replies: 2

Related Articles