TX401 PCIe 10Gb poor upload speeds

2024-08-10 10:27:08
Model: TX401  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone.

This post is for whoever bought a TP-LINK TX401 and have connection speed issues.

In my setup I have 2 PC:

- Desktop running Windows 11 with a TP-LINK TX401

- UnRAID server running UnRAID (Linux) with a TP-LINK TX401

I've a QNAP Switch with 2 10Gbit port and 6 2.5Gbit ports. But during all tests, both PCs were connected to each other without the switch.

During my tests with iperf3, I've concluded that speeds between the two PC are too different: In one way I got 9.25Gbit/s and the other 3.1Gbit/s

For test purposes, I've created a Linux VM in my Desktop using VirtualBox and passthru the TX401 NIC to the VM. After testing the connection between the VM and UnRAID I get 9.25Gbit in both directions. So, my conclusion was something is wrong in Windows 11 side.

After playing around with all settings in TX401 driver, none of them make the speed improve.

As my Desktop PC is my working rig, I've several VPN installed and one of them is Pulse Secure.

This VPN installs a security add-on named "Juniper Network Service" that was causing all the speed issues.

Only by disabling this add-on, my speeds returned to normal. Now I get 9.25Gbit/s in both directions.

So, this post is not to ask anything, but to help others with the same issue.

Hope this article can help someone.

Regards,

MrFroggy

Options
4 Reply
Re:TX401 PCIe 10Gb poor upload speeds
2024-08-13 07:22:41

@MrFroggy 

Hi

Thank you for sharing your solution with us! Your willingness to contribute to the community is commendable. It's great to see members like you actively helping others by sharing their knowledge and experiences. I'm sure your solution will be of great value to those who are facing a similar issue. Keep up the good work, and if you have any more insights or tips to share, please don't hesitate to let us know. Together, we can make the forum a valuable resource for everyone. Thanks again!

Options
2024-08-13 10:56:57

@MrFroggy I dont have that add-on. Can you assist in what I may be missing. Below is from a forum post I just made:

My situation is nearly identical to this person: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/626262

But they never responded as to whether they found a solution

TX401 Hardware Version: V1.6

Firmware: 3.1.8 (Latest found based off of instructions found in this community forum)

Setup - 10Gbps connected from wall via CAT8 to TP AXE300 to PC using TP Link TX401 on Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Gaming X570 Plus motherboard

Ethernet cable - using the one provided in the box, but also tried others (cat8 and cat6)

Windows 11

No VPN

Turned Norton AV off to test speed

Advanced network card setting:
- Energy-Efficient Ethernet - DISABLED

- Flow Control - Rx & Tx Enabled

- Large Send Offload V1 & V2 (IPv4) - DISABLED

- Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) - DISABLED

- Link Speed - 10G

- Speed & Duplex - 10GBPS FULL DUPLEX

- TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - DISABLED

ISP Technician came by:

1. tested connection from wall to his own thunderbolt adapter getting 8-9 gbps upload and download.

2. tested connection via Router to his own thunderbolt adapter getting 8gbps down and 8 gbps down

3. tested on my pc - direct to wall - 2gbps down and 2 gbps up (prior to drive update was only giving me 300mbps up)

4. tested on my pc - via router - 1.6-1.8 gbps down and 1 gbps up (prior to drive update was only giving me 300mbps up)

5. tested with his cable to his laptop and then to mine to eliminate cable possibility, still same results with speed tests

Tried reaching to TP-Link support but never got a pickup. Literally just spend 47 minutes on hold until I gave up because I have work tomorrow. I'm stationed in Japan so if there are optimal times to call, then they're not exactly optimal to me.

Cant seem to find the help chat as the automated message in the support phone number suggests. 

Anyone experiencing similar issues? 

Same as the person I provided the link for, I am wondering if there is possibility of the following:

- Incorrect NIC settings

- Conflict between on-board network card and PCIE network card (TX401) 

- I'm using PCI slot 3 on my motherboard (reference motherboard model at top of post)

I'm at a complete loss here. What am I missing?

Options
2024-08-13 15:20:59

@AFgamer 

Hi,

I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help you.

First of all, TP-Link support can be reached by email to "support@tp-link.com". Worked with me.

Now, regarding your problem, I've driver version 3.1.10 from Marvell. But I know, since version 3.1.7 the driver is stable and can perform up to 9.25Gbit full duplex.

In my test case, I've linked 2 TX401 cards together without a switch/hub. Only then we can make sure the settings are working fine without any interference of other devices.

The TP-Link AXE300 have 3 10Gbit ports. Are you testing with another PC with 10Gbit? If so, try connecting the two PC directy without passing thru the router.

Do you have a 10Gbit internet connection? If you don't, is normal the connection not being 10Gbit from your PC to the internet. Even if it is 10Gbit, the connection between you PC and another point in the internet can have many other factors to slow it down. You can try running a speed test using the site: fast.com

Regarding the card settings, all default settings worked fine for me. If I try to change anything, the connection speed trend to be slower. So I keep the settings at default.

To your settings to:

- ARP Offset - ENABLED

- Energy-Efficient Ethernet - DISABLED

- Jumbo Packed - DISABLED

- Large Send Offload V1 & V2 (IPv4) - ENABLED

- Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) - DISABLED

- Link Speed - AUTO NEGOTIATION

- Speed & Duplex - AUTO NEGOTIATION (Don't force 10Gbit here. Normally routers like to negiotiate the connection speed):

- TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Rx & Tx Enabled

Those settings give me a 8 - 9Gbit connection in both directions.

Only this setting made the connection a little faster:

- Flow Control - DISABLED

Try with this settings and give some feedback.

Regards.

Options
3 weeks ago

@MrFroggy  Thank you for your reply 2 weeks ago. Here's what ended up being the fix:

I got into my router's (TP_link AXE300, v1.6 [US]) settings via my PC, opposed to the Router's app (Tether) on my phone.

TP-Link AXE300 has a Quality of Service (QoS) option, where I can select priority speeds for which device that is currently connected, and the speeds in which it is bound to. I previously had set my PC to having a priority lane through the Tether app, with 10000Mbps down and up. However, when I used my PC to look at the settings it seems that everything was reset. So I once again prioritized my PC with the aforementioned speeds. 

In conclusion, it seems the issue was with the router settings. I'm unsure as to why I received the 2Gbps directly through the wall and only started to receive the correct speeds after changing my settings in the router. Regardless, it seems my problem for speed has been resolved.

Thereafter, I attempted to use the Ookla speed test via the website. It starts at about 6000mbps download, then drops to approximately 1400Mbps until the website crashes. It does this every single time. However, when I download the Ookla speed test app it reads as I would expect it to read with roughly 8.8Gbps down and up. 

Further, I tried various file download tests and speeds tests. All varying depending on the websites.

Lastly, I had previously ordered a Asus XG-C100 Network card. I installed it recently to test the theory as to the functionality in comparison to the TX401. Speeds remained the same, however, the problem I had with the TP-Link TX401 would some times drop my internet connection during a single-player gaming session, whereas the Asus card did not. I have not delved into that issue because at this point I've gone as far as I needed to for my own edification, I've just left my Asus card installed. My router does not possess the option to test internet going into it, but based on the tests I've been running from my network cards through the router, I can confidently say that I'm getting the speeds I generally expect.

I truly appreciate your help previously. I also set the 10Gbps Full Duplex within the router settings. Settings, mind you, that I did not see available through the app.. only through my PC.

Options