DHCP reservation not working.

2024-08-11 21:21:14 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210608 RC.66100n

I have an Archer MR600 v1 with a RE200 connected using One Mesh.  Everything seems to work fine except the DHCP reservation - I have a NAS box connected though the RE200 via Wifi Adapter.   Problem I'm having is I reserve an IP address/MAC address on the MR600 V1 but the devices are connecting via the RE200 mesh node the NAS gets the next available IP in the range and not the IP I have reserved.

I have checked the firmware is the latest version.  As a test I used the RE200 with a Huawei 4G+ router and the IP reservation works fine.  Is this a fault with the firmware I have on the MR600?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DHCP reservation not working.-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

It's working and here is what I think was happening.

When entering the MAC address I was using the shift key to make sure the MAC address is in upper case, this caused issues when entering the wrong segment where it took the shift key as a charater press so for example entering "A8" Pressing Shift A would "fill the text box".  I had to do a lot of faffing around clearing the box and typing it in again.   It may have caused issues in the previous text boxes.  I found entering the MAC in lower case converted them to upper case when saved.  I then entered the MAC address as lower case and allowed the entry to auto convert it to upper case - this seems to have worked as when the IP renewed it now got the allocated IP.

So there may have been issues around the MAC address entry.  It is OK to enter it in lower case as it will be converted to upper case.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:DHCP reservation not working.
2024-08-13 09:21:27

@amtrakuk 

Hi

It is recommended that you manually turn off DHCP of RE200.
We guess maybe you have other DHCP Servers at home. If possible, please provide the network topology at home.
What is the reserved IP you set? Also, what is the new IP assigned to the NAS?

Options
2024-08-13 10:10:11 - last edited 2024-08-13 10:11:23

@Joseph-TP 

Thanks the DHSC service is set to "Auto" on the RE200, I'll try turning it to off.

The Typography is as follows

Archer MR600 (Wifi and DHSC on (192.168.1.2 > 192.168.1.254))  ----->  RE200 (Wifi on (IP allocated via DHSC (connected to MR600 via Easy Mesh))  --------> Vonets VAP11G-300 Wifi Bridge (MAC reserved on MR600 192.168.1.200) > Netgear Readynas 400 (MAC reserved on MR600 192.168.1.254)

All reservations set to active

The ReadyNAS gets the next available IP in the range

I'm not sure if it is a symptom but "tplinkmodem.net" is not resolvable from the clients, only via IP.  However "tplinkrepeater.net" is.

Options
2024-08-14 09:27:49

Not sure whats happening, I'm getting an IP split on the allocation between low 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.xxx (hundreds).   The lease time is set to 60 minutes to reflect any changes sooner.  I have powered off for >2 mins on all devices.  I have turned off the DHSC Server option on the RE200.  Rebooted both the MR600 and RE200.  At the moment the NAS box is not showing on the list of clients on both the RE200 or the MR600 but it is accessible but the clients.   I have tried logging on to the IPs on the DHSC client list shown on both devices, non of which is the NAS box.

Is there something I have missed?

Options
3 weeks ago

@amtrakuk 

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240834643, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

By the way, you could manually change RE200's DHCP Server to be Auto now.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
Re:DHCP reservation not working.-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

It's working and here is what I think was happening.

When entering the MAC address I was using the shift key to make sure the MAC address is in upper case, this caused issues when entering the wrong segment where it took the shift key as a charater press so for example entering "A8" Pressing Shift A would "fill the text box".  I had to do a lot of faffing around clearing the box and typing it in again.   It may have caused issues in the previous text boxes.  I found entering the MAC in lower case converted them to upper case when saved.  I then entered the MAC address as lower case and allowed the entry to auto convert it to upper case - this seems to have worked as when the IP renewed it now got the allocated IP.

So there may have been issues around the MAC address entry.  It is OK to enter it in lower case as it will be converted to upper case.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 weeks ago

@Joseph-TP Thansk for the reply.   No the other devices couldnt resolve the IP - which would point towards the router.  Anyway seems it can be seen as my fault as the issue was reoslved when I cleared the reservation table and entered the MAC address "as is" without trying to make it upper case.   Next time the IP lease renewed the correct IP was was issued.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 174

Replies: 6

Related Articles