UB500 partial incompatibility with PSVR2 controllers

2024-08-12 19:51:21 - last edited Thursday
Tags: #Blutooth #psvr2
Model: UB500  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

As you may be aware, Sony officially recommended (and continues to) the TP-LINK UB500 Bluetooth USB adapter for use with PSVR2 controllers on PC after the recent launch of their own PSVR2 PC adapter. It is one of very few Sony has recommended through its official channels for use with the PSVR2 on PC.

I don't need any personal support on this issue (though I also have it). I would just like to raise awareness and get someone from TP-LINK to kindly inform your internal technical teams about the matter. It would be even better if you were already looking into it and let us know.

Hundreds, possibly thousands, of new PSVR2 PC players have purchased the UB500 specifically for this case after the recent launch of the PSVR2 on PC adapter, mostly because Sony recommended it. So please excuse my unusual approach 🙂.

The PSVR2 community has collected a fair amount of data on this issue, which you can see on the public spreadsheet that has been setup to collect feedback. I can't link to that on this forum, but to see the data google "psvr2onpc Bluetooth Hardware Compatibility Survey". The issue has also been much discussed on various Reddit threads. I have added a snapshot of the relevant data from the sheet at the bottom of this post.

The above spreadsheet clearly shows that the issue is not related to range, outdated drivers, USB host, or anything of that sort. The issue manifests for many users, possibly all (many users don't notice this until later due to the nature of the issue).

It seems to pervade most Revision 2.0 and 1.0, but there could be more since there's a lack of data on other revisions currently.

The issue that manifests when using the UB500 with both PSVR2 controllers connected is pretty much unique to this specific dongle compared to the data on other products. When both PSVR2 controllers are paired, during gameplay, one controller (usually consistently the same one for each individual) will lose its positional tracking on the x,y, and z planes briefly every 5-10 minutes or so before returning. During this time, orientation data appears to continue being received. What is telling of a possible underlying problem here, is the consistency in the collected data regarding the UB500 specifically with an issue that appears like it is possibly unique to this dongle, and users having success with alternatives even with the same BT Class and Tx power. In fact, alternative lower power devices compared to the 13dBM the UB500 has often if not always seems to be working around the problem for the exact same users.

Possibly a driver patch is needed. The periodic nature of the problem makes me think its possibly a software issue. Between these periodic events, the dongle works perfectly. So I have hope this can be resolved.

Again, I just want to have someone here relay this to your internal engineering teams, as it's affecting hundreds of new TP-LINK customers at the exact same time, and the problem is magnified by the Sony recommendation.

Thank you kindly! I hope this data can prove useful to your team 🙂.

Data snapshot from r/psvr2onpc Bluetooth Hardware Compatibility Survey:

Model Issue Summary Port Driver Provider Driver Version Play Space Closest Play Space Farthest Obstructions User provided notes
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V1) 🟡 Drops out USB 3.2     0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 1m - 3m 🧍My own body  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V1) 🟡 Drops out USB 3.0 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 1.9.1051.3009 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 1m - 3m 🧍My own body Left controller rotating in space sometimes
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V1) 🟡 Drops out USB 3.0 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 1.9.1051.3009 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 1m - 3m 🧍My own body  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out, Delayed / Laggy USB 2.0 TP-LINK CORPORATION PTE. LTD 1.9.1051.3012 1m - 3m (~3 to ~10 ft) 5m - 7m 🧍My own body, 🖥️ PC hardware itself (e.g. if using back ports, or antenna located behind PC)  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟢 Stable USB 2.0 TP-LINK CORPORATION PTE. LTD 1.9.1051.3012 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 3m - 5m 🧍My own body  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out USB 2.0 TP-LINK CORPORATION PTE. LTD. 1.9.1051.3012 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 1m - 3m 🧍My own body  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out Unsure TP-Link Broadband USB Adapter 1.9.1051.3012 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 3m - 5m 🧍My own body  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟢 Stable USB 2.0 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 1.9.1038.3015 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 5m - 7m 🧍My own body  
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out USB 3.1 Gen 2 TP-LINK CORPORATION PTE. LTD. 1.9.1051.3012 1m - 3m (~3 to ~10 ft) 3m - 5m 🧍My own body connection stable, but regularly (every 2~5min) right controller position is stuck for a few seconds (but orientation/buttons are ok)
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out USB 3.0 TP-LINK CORPORATION PTE. LTD. 1.9.1051.3012 1m - 3m (~3 to ~10 ft) 5m - 7m 🧍My own body, 🧱 Major obstruction, (e.g. wall) Right hand controller stuck in air every now and again (5-10mins), but orientation oddly works during this time.
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out USB 2.0 Realtek Semiconductor Corp 1.9.1038.3015 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 1m - 3m 🧍My own body Issue for me is during each session one of the controllers will consistently get stuck in position but aim/rotation is still tracked. In one session could be the left controller, the next session, the right. It's random
TP-Link UB500 (Revision V2.0) 🟡 Drops out USB 2.0 TP-LINK CORPORATION PTE. LTD. 1.9.1051.3012 0m - 1m (~0 to ~3 ft) 1m - 3m 🧍My own body Tp link ub500 v2 caused one controller to freeze in one position white being able to rotate. Ive changed to a pcie card and work flawless now

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:UB500 partial incompatibility with PSVR2 controllers-Solution
a week ago - last edited Thursday

@adamscybot @StevieJayDee 

Hi

Thank you all for your valuable feedback. In response to reports of lag when using UB500 with Sony PSVR2, we have released a new driver version for you to test.

Direct Deload Driver
We encourage you to test this new driver and share your experience with us.

If you encounter any issues or notice any improvements while testing the new driver, please provide detailed feedback to help us further enhance its performance and compatibility. 
Your input is crucial in our ongoing efforts to deliver the best possible user experience. 

Warm regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:UB500 partial incompatibility with PSVR2 controllers
2024-08-13 21:38:15
Add me to the list...PSVR2, UB500 Bluetooth adapter connected to a 6-ft USB extension cable connected to a USB 2.0 port with the latest 2.6 drivers. Some games like beat saber will go for about 10 minutes without issue before the left or right controller will stop positional tracking for about 10 seconds (buttons work but no XYZ telemetry), but in games like Pavlov it freezes every minute or so making it completely unusable. I've ordered a Asus Bluetooth adapter that is an alternative option and will be returning this if that works.
Options
2024-08-14 06:47:22

@adamscybot 

Hi

Thank you for providing us with comprehensive feedback and data consolidation. We have escalated this feedback to our engineering team as a top priority. Any developments will be promptly shared with the community. If you are open to collaborating with our engineers for debugging purposes, we would be delighted to escalate the case to the engineers.

Warm regards.
Options
3 weeks ago

@adamscybot 

you can add me to the list too,

i have isolated the adapter from the pc and it is hanging from the ceiling, so it has pretty good conditions.

same behavior with tp-link ub500 version 2.0, one controller goes into 3 dof mode for x-y second every x-xy minutes.

otherwise the connection is stable, even if i wrap aluminium foil around the adapter to provoke worse connections.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Joseph-TP Hi Joseph. That's great thanks a lot.

Absolutely. Im a software engineer so you can use me as you see fit :).

Options
3 weeks ago

@adamscybot 

Just got the Asus BT-500 dongle, updated the driver...45min in and zero freezes or dropouts.

Options
3 weeks ago

@adamscybot 

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240831759, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
3 weeks ago

@Joseph-TP Thats received thank you.

Options
3 weeks ago

@adamscybot 

Any update please? 🙏🏻

Options
3 weeks ago
I've just got back to support. Theres a hiccup as I sacrificed my UB500 by bricking it with the latest Realtek vendor drivers. I knew this was risky since I could see already in the "cab" file there was a ROM in their. Over on Reddit, people seems to be having success though overriding with the Realtek inf (inf only, not whole cab) that competing products are using... They all use the same controller. Which points to a very likely issue with the TP-LINK drivers.
Options
a week ago

@adamscybot Hi,

I see you mentioning something about overriding the to driver with related inf drivers instead and no longer having drop outs. I've tried looking into doing this but have had no luck. Could you potentially link any of the Reddit threads you found or any relevant guides that I could use to do this myself?

Many thanks in advance!

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 3225

Replies: 18

Tags

Blutooth
psvr2
Related Articles