BE85 wired backhaul implementation is a catastrophe

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Every Firmware Version up to 1.0.18 Beta

I have been fighting with the wired back-haul feature of my BE85 ever since I bought them and it is becoming increasingly frustrating.

I have two BE85 and one XE75. I also have two professional, fully managed 2.5GBit switches with 10GBit uplinks.

All Decos are connected to the same central switch - the two BE85 through 10Gbit, the XE75 via its 1Gbit port.

Even though the Ethernet uplink is fully functional, both BE85 like to connect either to each other or to the XE75 _additonally_ by Wifi. Sometimes the port is blocked by spanning tree, but since some packets are also send over Ethernet, this of course causes all kinds of issues with the network connections. Especially Sonos devices are completely unusable.

I fail to understand why this happens - why is it so difficult just to check if another deco can be reached via ethernet and then disable the wireless back-haul?

Can we _please_ resolve this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:BE85 wired backhaul implementation is a catastrophe
3 weeks ago

@ksh_osaka 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Have you set Deco into Access Point mode?

May I know the model number of the 2.5G switch?

- Please also try to turn off the "Loop Detection/Prevention" on the network switch here.

It is also suggested to refer to Q5+Q6 here-General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
3 weeks ago

@David-TP 
Hi David,

thanks for your reply! Yes, my Deco is running in AP-Mode.

The central switch is a XikeStore SKS7300-8GPY4XGS
Loop Detection/Prevention is realized through Spanning Tree (IEEE 802.1w)
I am aware that I could disable it and prevent the switch from blocking the ports. I used that configuration in the past.

Unfortunately that doesn't resolve the problem of the Deco utilizing both wired and wireless links at the same time, causing various issues (mostly with multicast traffic).

It's good to know that Deco follows IEEE 1905.1 protocol, but there really should be a way to disable the multi-medium uplinks since it can cause all kinds of issues in different network environments. Also, it seems to be strangely random?
Yesterday for example I configured the older XE75 as the main unit and currently only the ethnernet uplink is utilized...

Options
3 weeks ago

@ksh_osaka 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

In this way, I'd like to escalate your case to the senior engineer for more suggestions.

Please check whether you can receive my email later.

Thank you again and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 117

Replies: 3

Related Articles