VLC mobile won't detect Samba with XE75 PRO

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

I have had a samba share on a linux machine for a long time and it was always detected in VLC mobile and then I could navigate to it and play shows without having to copy to my phone first.  After installing my Deco XE75 PRO, VLC mobile just said "not connected to network" under the local network section.  It seems that SMB broadcast isn't working at all though I can access the share itself.  Linux will not detect shares either any longer but it will access shares by smb link.  The phone is on DHCP and the linux machine + samba machine are static.  Can anyone tell me if there are settings that fix this?  Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VLC mobile won't detect Samba with XE75 PRO-Solution

@Sunshine 

Originally when I set it up, Samba was wired to the primary deco device with everything else on wireless.  Now Samba is on a switch which is connected to the main Deco device.  I have three Deco devices in a daisy chain (internet at one end).

I don't know what you mean by 'ping Samba'.  I can ping the server that hosts Samba fine.

EDIT:  I figured out the cause of the problem.  I have a VPN on the system with Samba and I forgot that it doesn't allow anything to escape the server but for subnets that you configure.  The TP-Link router forced me to change my subnet to one of a few choices.  Once I added the new subnet to the VPN settings everything is working.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:VLC mobile won't detect Samba with XE75 PRO
3 weeks ago

@malibu66 

Hi.

What is the network topology?

And please also ping Samba on your computer, and provide the ping result.

Is the internet working normally when the devices connect to Deco?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:VLC mobile won't detect Samba with XE75 PRO-Solution

@Sunshine 

Originally when I set it up, Samba was wired to the primary deco device with everything else on wireless.  Now Samba is on a switch which is connected to the main Deco device.  I have three Deco devices in a daisy chain (internet at one end).

I don't know what you mean by 'ping Samba'.  I can ping the server that hosts Samba fine.

EDIT:  I figured out the cause of the problem.  I have a VPN on the system with Samba and I forgot that it doesn't allow anything to escape the server but for subnets that you configure.  The TP-Link router forced me to change my subnet to one of a few choices.  Once I added the new subnet to the VPN settings everything is working.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 119

Replies: 2

Related Articles