Homeshield Sleep Time not working

Homeshield Sleep Time not working

35 Reply
Re:Homeshield Sleep Time not working
a week ago

@Basboi85 thank you for your reply, I must say I was a little bit pleased reading the reply because now I know it's not only me, and the cesspit I can also relate too, scabby teenagers!

When I get home tomorrow I will be investigating the MAC address advice from the posts above.  And now I will also do research into VPNs connecting to internal routers and if the MAC address changes as well as the IP.  I'm hoping a fixed MAC address will be the answer. 

Options
a week ago

@Basboi85 the phone and tablets is not an issue for me yet, we use Google Family Link which is very good, locks the user out of changing certain settings on their device, I can block downloaded apps from being used as well as see which websites they have been visiting and if necessary blocking those. Sleep time works perfectly on Family Link, in fact I wonder if I can install it on a PS5, I'll have to look into this.  The sleep time issue must be the Tplink router or the MAC address because the previous Asus router would cut the internet as soon as the off times kicked in. 

Options
a week ago

@awunited 

I did have the family link on his phone/tablets but as he got new devices I never continued with it as he pleaded with giving him trust and obv temptation is too great for him. 

As far as I'm aware he hasn't done the random mac address setting as I wouldve thought the tether app would recognise that as a new device (mac address) and then would alert me a new device has joined the network and I've not had any new alerts yet indicating he's done that. 

I don't think it would work on a ps5/xbox as its different operating system, but be good to know if it does, 

I don't beleive it works on amazon tablets but could also be wrong 🤔, I know we had issues when he had a apple device and we had android. 

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@awunited 

Kids don't realise how easy and how good they get it now days, 

I'm going to sound really old but if I had done half the nonsense he gets upto I'd not be able to sit or stand for a few days,

failing that if that didn't happen my stuff would be gone no ifs and buts or literally smashed into peices In front of me. (I wasnt raised the gental parenting way lol)

I don't understand it tbh, they are set simple fair rules mainly for saftey for them. I know its in a teens nature to push their luck (what teen hasnt) but when the limits are pushed to far and too often then they have to be put back in their place. 

I think what tips me and my Mrs over the edge is the attitude and the smart mouth and being called bruh/bruv and we always seem to be giving but not simply doing what hes ment to be doing in return. 

Options
a week ago

@Marvin_S 

I am having the same issue. My child's PS5 connection is not being severed at the sleep times I setup in the router parental control settings (C4000).

There is no issue with Mac address - the router correctly recognizes the PS5 as the client device with the parental controls settings, yet it continues to allow it access during the set sleep times.  I am using the latest version of the router firmware. 

The only thing I can do is manually block the PS5 from the list of clients, which defeats the purpose of the parental control feature.  It shouldn't matter what the the PS5 is doing; the router should be disconnecting the client from internet at the set time regardless.

Options
a week ago

@Brp99 yip it's not the MAC address, manual block works which is a madness, if manual block works then so should sleep time.  I'm on the verge of changing the router for an Asus.  

Options
a week ago

@Brp99 it could be this? https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/530676

Options

@awunited 

On a side note/idea that I've been toying with just not got round to trying it. 

If they keep up with the not coming off their stuff at set times I'd change the wifi password for your normal wifi( anniyingly you will have to reconnect all your devices again you allow on your main network), forget your wifi password on all their devices  turn the guest wifi on and give them that password, 

Not sure if you can set the guest wifi to a timer so to speak so when it hits say 11pm it turns off and say 8am come and then they have 0 Internet. 

I know you can tell alexa( if you have it) to turn the guest wifi on/off so maybe be able to set that to turn it on or off at certain times. 

Or you could ( as annoying as it will be) manually log in to tether and turn it off yourself. 

I'm sure they will get the picture pretty quickly. 

I'm now going to go and see if I can see if the guest wifi can have a set on/off time period. 

Not sure if the parental controls will work as their devices will be on the guest network, plus if they try using a vpn to get around blockers you can just switch off their wifi while everything else is still connected happily while they've got none. 

Maybe more knowledgeable and admin may be able to answer. 

Options
a week ago

@Basboi85 

So I went digging in the Web GUI and you can have a set time limit for the guest wifi just not have it so it will come on  i.e @ 7:30 am and then turn off by 11pm. 

Wonder if we can put in for a feature request for this 🤔 

I come across wireless schedule but I'm guessing that's just for main network. 

Options

@Basboi85 

Well you can set routines in the alexa app to set a time for your guest wifi to come on and to turn off. 

Just did a test run for it to come on at 15:50 and off at 15:55 and it worked 

Mwahahahahha ( evil super villan laugh) 😂😂😂😂

Will have to do a test next to see if the parental controls will work if devices are on the guest network 🤔 . 

Edit I think it can be done even having the parental controls working, 

I'll work it out a bit later and take more screenshots showing how I'm doing it 

Options