VPN server or VPN client

VPN server or VPN client

VPN server or VPN client
VPN server or VPN client
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I am trying to set up NordVPN on system which comprises a Virging Media Hub 3.0 (running in modem mode) and an Archer AX73 router 

I have several devices connected to the router, some via wifi and some via ethernet. Some of these I wish to rout through the VPN and others I wish to pass directly to the web.  Under VPN Client/Device List I have set up and activated all required devices.

I will not be connection to my local network from the web.

I have read endless artlicles on VPN client mode versus VPN servermode but I am stlii not really sure which is the best mode to use. 

I do understand that if I use the client mode no extra software is needed on the deevices passing through the VPN; whereas with VPN client eacg devive will need specia software.

My questions are theses

1. Which mode is best for me?

2.Do I need to activate both modes on the router or just one of them?

3. Will it matter if both are connected at the same time?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN server or VPN client-Solution

@djc290761 

Hi,

If you just need to connect to the third-party VPN service provider(in your case is NordVPN), then VPN clinet should satisfy you need.

You can refer to this thread for more information.

Introduction and Configuration Guide of VPN Function

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:VPN server or VPN client-Solution

@djc290761 

Hi,

If you just need to connect to the third-party VPN service provider(in your case is NordVPN), then VPN clinet should satisfy you need.

You can refer to this thread for more information.

Introduction and Configuration Guide of VPN Function

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VPN server or VPN client
2 weeks ago

@djc290761 Thank you very much for your help.

I have one further question

Should I now turn off VPN Server - or does it not matter?

Options