Why dnsmasq don't reply to local 'lan' request ?

a week ago - last edited Saturday
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.6_1.1.6_Build 240808

Hi running BE800 on my lan i don't get local name resolution for other machine connected via DHCP. If a machine request an IP to BE800 with a hostname 'machineA' then DNS should reply with locaip of the machine when request 'machiineA' or 'machineA.lan (suspect default domain of the router is .lan ?)

I'm testing requesting the router 192.168.1.1 UDP 53 vis command 'dig @192.168.1.1 machineA' and don't get any answer very strange...

I find the DNS setup of the BE800 very strange specialy between ipv4 and ipv6 ... Is there a plan to consolidate this ?

Benoit

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Why dnsmasq don't reply to local 'lan' request ?-Solution

@benoitm974 

Hi, I noticed that the senior engineering team has followed up your case via email already. Although different questions, it is the same router, right?

I strongly recommend that you discuss this with them directly, who are more professional and knowledgeable.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Why dnsmasq don't reply to local 'lan' request ?
a week ago

@benoitm974 I think i found the answer in the beta firmware dnsproxy is wrtting a iptable rule to redirect every UDP and TCP traffic to port 53 of the tplinkwifi.net(192.168.x.x depending on which local lan we define in configuration) to the primary DNS of WAN4 !!!

I personnaly think this is seriously bad design and not very ransparent to final users :( Was this just to get the Tether app to work using tplinkwifi.net or the browser to redirect ? This seems really like a broken implementation...

And it does add latency to dns resolution on page which is un necessary...

Options
a week ago

@benoitm974 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

May I confirm whether it is the same situation if you installed the latest official firmware version instead of the Beta one?

Then we will feedback this to the engineering team for further research.

Options
a week ago

@Marvin_S 

yes it is the same on latest production veersion

Options
Re:Why dnsmasq don't reply to local 'lan' request ?-Solution

@benoitm974 

Hi, I noticed that the senior engineering team has followed up your case via email already. Although different questions, it is the same router, right?

I strongly recommend that you discuss this with them directly, who are more professional and knowledgeable.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 hours ago

@Marvin_S Unfortunatelly I was told this was escalated but since no news ....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 120

Replies: 5

Related Articles