Should I upgrade my M4s to M5 or M9 etc?

Friday
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi I have a bunch of M4s dotted around my house as the brick walls kill the WiFi connection.

It not great and I still lose a large percentage of the speed compared to where my router is located.

I was wondering if there would be any value to upgrading to one of the other more expensive Deco ranges like the M5 or M9 or would I be unlikely to benefit from doing that?

Wasn't sure if maybe (as I'm about to get a new modem installed) these other models might provide better technology and so would help with eeking out a bit more speed or better utilize the connection somehow?

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Should I upgrade my M4s to M5 or M9 etc?
Saturday

@Integralist 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

May I know how much of your internet bandwidth is?

"It's not great and I still lose a large percentage of the speed compared to where my router is located."

-I checked your TP-link email ID. There are 4 Deco M4 units under your account. Are they all wirelessly connected to the Mesh system?

If you are not satisfied with the network speed of satellite Mesh units, I don't think upgrading one Deco to a higher model would help.

Is there any chance that you could connect some satellite M4 units via Ethernet cables to the Mesh system? Ethernet Backhaul could often provide better network connection for satellite Mesh units: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Should I upgrade my M4s to M5 or M9 etc?
Saturday

Hi  @David-TP 

If I remember correctly, when I had the ISP's modem/router working as a full blown router (before I connected up my Deco) it was about 320mb download on the Ethernet cable.

Putting it into modem-only mode and connecting it by Ethernet to the primary Deco and connecting via WiFi (in the same room as the modem & Deco) would drop speed to 200-210 so ~30% drop in speed. I'm not sure why the significant drop for the primary Deco WiFi when in the same room, maybe that's just the way it is with this technology, but it seemed a big drop.

The other Decos get about half that connection wirelessly (~100mb).

Unfortunately, I'm not able to easily connect the other Decos by Ethernet across the house, so they all connect wirelessly to the primary Deco next to the modem.

But good to know about back haul feature. I'll investigate again, and see if maybe one of the satellite Decos could at least get Ethernet to it.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 51

Replies: 2

Related Articles