USB WiFi adapter keeps disconnecting

Yesterday
Model: Archer TX20U Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I got an Archer TX20U Plus Wi-Fi adapter for my Desktop PC.
The problem I have is that it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting (I hear the usb disconnect and reconnect sound) while playing specific games or downloading from Steam.
It always disconnects and reconnects when launching Battlefield 5 and Star Wars Battlefront 2, it also does this the first time joining a game, after that it's stable.
While playing hoi4, it does this every 10 minutes. I don't play hoi4 online, just singleplayer.
When connecting to wi-fi it does the same thing, disconnects, reconnects and then connects to my wi-fi.

Things I already tried:

• Install the driver included with the adapter
  • Update that driver
  • Install the latest driver from the official website
  • Disabled "Allow computer to turn off this device" in device manager of the TpLink adapter
  • Get a usb hub with it's own power cable
  • Update Windows
  • Reinstall Windows
  • Tried another adapter (TENDA U18 AX1800)

I had an older Archer T4U Plus and the same thing happened with that.
I've got a Huawei Wi-Fi 6 Router (I'm currently at work and can't rembember which one exactly)

Just checked the event monitor and I got this: "TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver."

Options
2 Reply
Re:USB WiFi adapter keeps disconnecting
20 hours ago

@Kedavr 

Hi,

How was the Tenda adapter? Did it behave exactly like the Archer TX20U Plus?

Anyway, USB Wi-Fi adapters like those two, which utilize the RTL8832AU and RTL8832BU chips often show this behavior, especially when used on computers that are based on AMD CPUs. 

According to my own experiences it happens only when they work in USB 3.x "SuperSpeed" mode. When plugged into an older USB 2.0 port of the same computer they have always worked stable for me. Of course, this workaround is not optimal, as it limits the maximum speed of the USB Wi-Fi adapter to around 270 Mbps.

There have been several versions of the drivers made available over the years. I have seen posts where some user mentioned driver version "A" worked for him/her, while in another post another user said driver version "B" worked fine for him/her. But there doesn't seem to be one particular driver version that works for everyone.

By the way, one initial disconnect and reconnect is "normal" with USB Wi-Fi adapters that use these chips, which happens right after clicking "Connect" in Windows. This indicates the adapter switching from USB 2.0 mode to USB 3.0 mode. But after that there should be no further disconnects.

Options
Re:USB WiFi adapter keeps disconnecting
11 hours ago

@woozle Hello,
Yes, the Tenda adapter behaves the exact same way as the tx20u plus.
I do have an AMD Ryzen 7 5800x CPU.

Good to know that the initial disconnect is normal.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 54

Replies: 2

Related Articles