Simple ER605 and OC200 connection questions
Yesterday - last edited Yesterday
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I'm building out a simple network. Looking to use:

• ER605 (router)

• OC200 (controller)

• TL-SG2210P (Switch with PoE for my APs)

• 3 Wall APs (maybe a 4th).

My switch will PoE all of my APs. However, the OC200, where my router is, has more room than the switch closet. Can I directly plug the ER605 into the router without any issues and simply use the power provided (USB) on the back?  Or should it go directly into the switch? I also have a streaming device, near the router, that I would like to plug into and not run a new line to the switch for that device. Is there any issue going into the router that way as well?

Basically, router will receive WAN, OC200, Cat6 to switch, and 1 streaming device. Switch will power all APs and connect to router.e 

Anything to be concerned about with this?

TKH.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Simple ER605 and OC200 connection questions-Solution

Hi @MrTkH 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You mean the OC200 to the router directly?

You can do that but make sure the power is stable for the OC200.

You can connect devices to the router instead of the switch. But theoretically, we recommend you connect them to the switch. But no need to worry if you connect to the router directly as long as you have not created any sort of loop.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Simple ER605 and OC200 connection questions-Solution

Hi @MrTkH 

You mean the OC200 to the router directly?

You can do that but make sure the power is stable for the OC200.

You can connect devices to the router instead of the switch. But theoretically, we recommend you connect them to the switch. But no need to worry if you connect to the router directly as long as you have not created any sort of loop.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Simple ER605 and OC200 connection questions
19 hours ago

@Clive_A You said, "But theoretically, we recommend you connect them to the switch." Did you say that because the theor is a switch will manage load balancing better?

My config, the router would only have OC200 running off of it, and perhaps an Apple Tv (occassional use). So nothing too demanding.

Last follow up question. As for provisioning and managing all these devices, which clearly are very few, is it safe to assume they all can be controlled just the same regardless of being plugged into a switch or the router directly? 

Options
Re:Simple ER605 and OC200 connection questions
10 hours ago

Hi @MrTkH 

MrTkH wrote

@Clive_A You said, "But theoretically, we recommend you connect them to the switch." Did you say that because the theor is a switch will manage load balancing better?

My config, the router would only have OC200 running off of it, and perhaps an Apple Tv (occassional use). So nothing too demanding.

Last follow up question. As for provisioning and managing all these devices, which clearly are very few, is it safe to assume they all can be controlled just the same regardless of being plugged into a switch or the router directly? 

It is determined by your network usage in the future.

If you are gonna have heavy local traffic, you would get the best out of the Router > Switch > devices when you can do the LAG or at least enjoy the local transfer without passing over to the router.

In an ideal network, we want to have only NAT-involved stuff travel to the router and get NAT-ed. Rest of the LAN stays in the LAN.

If it is not too demanding for your local transfer, it is okay to connect them to the router.

To the last question, should be fine. No worries.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 57

Replies: 3

Related Articles