Cannot access internet with W8980

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-10-14 04:28:44
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have been trying since Friday to get on the internet using the settings supplied to me by Telefonica.
I can get all the correct lights lit i.e. power, ADSL, Internet, and both the wireless along with a LAN port.

Initially I kept getting a message "Default gateway conflicts with subnet mask, Please input another"
I called Telefonica who told me I had the correct subnet but said if it didn't work to try raising the last digit by 1.
I no longer get the message but despite all the lights being on I still cannot get connected.
I have a static address and have tried all kinds of different settings with no luck.
My old Modem router works just fine with the same setting otherwise you would not be reading this.
I have reset the W8980 several times.

Where do I go from here any ideas please?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Cannot access internet with W8980
2013-10-14 13:56:58
What product on earth do you use.....TD-W8980 or TD-W8968?What's more,your ISP provides static IP for your Internet service?If your ISP provides you with pppoe,you can just set your computer "obtain IP autumatically" instead of static IP,and you can see how it works.
Options
2013-10-14 16:17:27
I have no Idea why it says I live in Argentina or why it says I have a TD W-8968:mad: I definitely filled in that I am in Spain and running a TD-W8980 with V1 and the latest update, perhaps a Mod might look in to this!

I definitely have only a static address since 2002, when that was all that was issued (256kb down 64kb up) I have tried pppoe but it rejects that too.
My W8980 shows in the status window that I am connected at 10Mb/s but I still cannot get on to the internet.
Options
2013-10-14 16:49:33
Just use the parameters and dial mode offered by ISP.
1.Go to management Interface,Network--MAC CLONE--Click Clone MAC to(choose your main computer's MAC)---save
2.Wait for about a minute,check if you can obtain WAN IP in Status of management Interface
3.yes ---connect the network normally. no---now you can contact your ISP to check if your parameters changed
Options
2013-10-14 16:52:37
well,maybe something went wrong when you submitted your information.....;)but it's not a big deal.
To the topic,now you have got a static IP from your ISP,right?Then on the management interface,choose Quick Setup---VPI/VCI---Static IP,where you should enter correct information your ISP provides.The rest information you should know ,I needn't mention it.PS:your computer should set"obtain IP address autumatically".
Following configuration above,it should be ok......
Options
2013-10-14 19:51:57
lee99. Thanks,tried that with no effect,
When I do a ping of my static address I get a good result, however a ping of the DNS Servers fails timed out. But on the other modem it returns a good results from both addresses!
My Status shows connected with good speeds i.e. 10mb/s.

Windows 7 Network Diagnostic reports "DNS server is not responding" which seems to confirm my ping results.

I have tried with Windows firewall off and my anti virus off.
The garbage can is looking attractive. now to swop cables to send this.:mad:
Options
2013-10-14 21:52:01
Reset the modem and have a try,sometimes resettng is very useful. If situation doesn't change,then change your dns server as 8.8.8.8(a common DNS Server for google,very useful).
After two solutions above,if it also doesn't take effect,just contact TP-Link for help.
Options
2013-10-14 22:33:37
UPDATE
All working now after a long premium cost call to Spanish TD-Link help line.:mad:
Although I have a static address it must be setup under the "IPoA setting for Static addresses".:rolleyes:
As a matter of interest that option is not available under the "easy setup" option that is on the disc and web site!!! However it is built into the browser interface.:mad:
3 1/2 days pulling my hair out. Now to setup the adapter so I get the benefit of the extra speed I need, which is why I bought the W8980 and WA890EA, Wish me luck!!
Options
2013-10-14 22:37:44
Happy to hear this.Good luck!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 760

Replies: 8

Related Articles