Continuously losing IP Addresses on wifi and ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-11-25 16:34:01
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

ISP : TalkTalk

I have had the TD-W8980 for about 4 months now and also have an Apple Airport Extreme on the network in Bridge Mode. I am using WiFi on both the TP-Link and the Airport Extreme and have a couple of computers also connected via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme.

Devices connected via WiFi and Ethernet keep losing their connection to the Router. When checking their network settings they have a self-assigned IP address. This normally happens either overnight for the computers where they have gone into sleep mode and when they are woken can't renew their IP address with the router, and also with other devices such as iPad and iPhone, where they have been disconnected from the WiFi and then when returning and trying to reconnect they can't get an IP address. Also, if a new device tries to connect to the network on WiFi it seems to connect to the router but isn't given an IP address so can't get onto the network and Internet. I have to reboot the TD-8980 each time and then it will connect all of the devices fine but then in time, over about 24 hours, some will drop off and no longer be connected.

I have the latest firmware on both the TD-8980 and the Airport Extreme and I have reset them both several times to factory settings and set them up again but still get this problem. In fact, recently it has started getting worse. One thing I noticed on the TD-8980 is in the DHCP Client List, not all connected devices are listed. Typically, there would be 9 devices connected, most via WiFi, with others added as and when needed (I have a home office so visiting clients often connect on WiFi although more often than not they can only do so when I reboot the TD-8980). However, the Client List often only show 5 or 6 connected.

I bought the TD-8980 because I was told it was one of the best you could get. I have a very cheap Sitecom modem router I keep as a backup that doesn't have any problems at all and keeps all connections all of the time with the same setup with the Airport Extreme so I can only put the problem down to the TD-8980.

I would be grateful for any help or advice.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Continuously losing IP Addresses on wifi and ethernet
2013-11-27 11:52:53
What's the topology you use? And what mode are you using on TD-W8980? Bridge mode? Modem router mode? Or wireless router mode?
I checked 8980's DHCP' client, I use 10 devices to connect 8980. 1 via wired, 9 via wifi. And they all show in 8980's DHCP client list..
Options
2013-12-03 23:37:09
Topology? Sorry, don't know what you mean.

It is in ADSL Modem Router mode. The Apple Airport Extreme is in Bridge mode.

It is even dropping out connection to my VOIP unit now, which is connected via Ethernet cable.

I'm having to restart the Router at least 4 times a day to allow devices to connect or reconnect.
Options
2013-12-04 15:22:58
When your connected devices drop out, does TD-W8980's ADSL and Internet light on?
Or if you set static IP for your devices, will it drop?
Options
2013-12-05 00:09:41
The ADSL and Internet Lights are still on, and I have Internet connectivity for other devices that are connected and haven't dropped out, just not those that have lost their connection to the router.

It's difficult to tell if setting a static IP still drops out because it is so random, unless I set all of my devices with status IPs.

I'm pretty sure it is an issue with the router reserving IP addresses for devices but then letting other devices have the address. Earlier today when I returned with my laptop after going out it initially wouldn't connect on WiFi and came up with a message that another device was using the same IP address. I left it for any a minute and it eventually got a connection with the router. The same thing just happened with by daughter and her laptop which was connected fine this morning but when she woke it from sleep just now it wouldn't connect. We left it for about 3 minutes but still no connection so I restarted the router and it connected straight away, but I'm pretty sure another device will now have lost its connection because the router has most likely given the IP address to the laptop so when I go to whichever device originally had that IP address it will be disconnected.

It's very infuriating, especially considering I bought this router because it was meant to be such a good piece of kit, but I'm starting to think otherwise. If I don't get it sorted soon I may as well ditch it and go back to by much cheaper and more basic Sitecom backup router which is much more reliable.
Options
2013-12-05 01:07:23
Just been on the phone with tp-link tech support. Completely useless. Firstly, I could hardly understand her and I don't think she could understand me. Then she ended up telling me that, really, I shouldn't be trying to connect more than eight devices at any one time to the router. And this is supposed to be a top end router! When I told her that was rubbish and a router of this type and cost should be able to handle plenty more she said thank you very much for your call and that was it! She couldn't even give me a Customer Service phone number.

I then called the UK office and spoke to a guy who was much more helpful and gave me a few things to try, and if they failed he said to let him know and he will arrange a replacement unit.
Options
2013-12-06 11:40:05
well......how many devices you connect to 8980 via wired or wireless? And do your connected devices run a heavy traffic? What's the bandwidth of your Internet?
If all you connected devices run a heavy traffic, it may cause drop out.

If there is not so many devices connect to your 8980, you can set "Static IP" for all you devices. But notice: The IP you set must be in the IP pool of TD-W8980. You can see and set it in DHCP Server--)DHCP Settings--), in there, you can see "Start IP Address" and "End IP Address", the static IP you set must be in the range.

Hope you luck!!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4373

Replies: 6

Related Articles