Storage Sharing bug and iPhone4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-12-06 21:53:44
Region : Malaysia

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

Just want to know if anyone have same experience as me with TD-W8980:

1. USB Storage Sharing: Once you setup the USB storage sharing with additional user accounts, try to access using this path: \\\volume (windows) or smb:///volume (Mac) and logon with any user accounts (not the admin) & password you created for them (even if those accounts don't have any permissions to any shared directories or even if you don't share anything to any users), then those user accounts will have full write permission to the root directory of the USB device attached. If yes, I think this is very serious bug.

2. iPhone4 connectivity: if you set the 2.4GHz with 11bgn mixed mode, then the iPhone4 connectivity will timeout very often, can be tested by pinging the iPhone's IP address from any other computers/devices connected to the same ADSL router. No issue with this 2.4 GHz 11bgn on other devices/computers. Found workaround for this iPhone4 connectivity by setting 2.4 GHz with 11bg mixed mode.

In both cases above, I configured the ADSL router as DHCP server and I use non-192.168.1.x subnet. I also enabled 5GHz with 11an mixed mode.

Cheers,
Options
2 Reply
Re:Storage Sharing bug and iPhone4
2013-12-09 16:17:56
I also use 8980 for home, so no need to worry about USB sharing. If you don't wan't others to access, just change the username and password. For the latter one, maybe it's not stable with WiFi
Options
Re:Storage Sharing bug and iPhone4
2013-12-10 21:04:22

calrio wrote

I also use 8980 for home, so no need to worry about USB sharing. If you don't wan't others to access, just change the username and password. For the latter one, maybe it's not stable with WiFi

Yeah, maybe no need to (really) worry as it's only used at home for some people like us, but if it's used as shared storage in SOHO environment for example, then this router is not really useful especially to store restricted data.

I assume you're aware of this storage sharing bug? When I bought it, this is one of the feature i was looking for. Hopefully it will be fixed in next firmware update.

For the latter one, it's kind of stable with 11bg (which is set to g with auto mode), but not with 11bgn (which is set to n). Tried the iPhone with other AP before, and it was fine on 11n mode.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 2