Parent control settings TD-W8970

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-12 19:05:55
Region : France

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I'm installing my new TD-W8970.

Everything ok, but I cannot achieve 'Parent Control' setting.

I would like to allow ALL websites access for my chldren's computers but with surf time limitations.

I have understood mac/schedule managment, but I dont know what to entre in 'Add url' filed from 'Parent control' page to allow access to all web sites.

Of course, I cannot enter only some allowed websites url's in the list...

Thank you in advance

Loïc
Options
12 Reply
Re:Parent control settings TD-W8970
2014-01-14 09:42:08
you can use "Firewall" function if you want to limit your child's PC to surf the Internet in certain time
Options
2014-01-14 14:15:09

Lebron James wrote

you can use "Firewall" function if you want to limit your child's PC to surf the Internet in certain time

Forgive my bad understanding, just leave URL blank will be ok !
Options
2014-01-15 16:46:27
HI,

Than you for your answer, but , I cannot achieve the parent control setting.

I made these tries :

Schedule totally 'dark blue', with Parental control enabled (check box at top of page) and url blank => child device : no internet connection access.
Schedule totally 'grey' (free), with Parental control enabled (check box at top of page) and url blank => child device : no internet connection access.

Schedule totally 'dark blue', with Parental control disabled (check box at top of page) and url blank => child device : internet full access.
Schedule totally 'grey' (free), with Parental control disabled (check box at top of page) and url blank => child device : internet full access.

So, I dont understand how to setup this parental control option, have you an idea ?

Best regards

Loïc
Options
2014-01-16 11:18:02
Hi Loic

1. You should enable "Parental Control" first, type or copy Parental PC MAC and Children PC MAC, click "Save" button under "Parental Control"

2. Select the Schedule you want to limit your child when at the period your child can surf the Internet

3. Leave URL blank

4. At the bottom of this page, there is also a "Save" button, please cilck "Save"! I think maybe you forget this.

Check if Parental Control will take effect :)
Options
2014-04-16 21:37:29
Same problem with me. The child PC is unable to surf internet as long as Parent Control enabled no matter how you select the time / schedule.

Already tried many options but still can not use it to control my child PC.

Please help!
Options
2014-04-16 22:34:06
Same problem with me. My child PC can not surf internet when Parent Control enabled, regardless the time and schedule I choose.

Please help!
Options
tearing my hair out too...
2014-05-11 00:35:04
I am trying to understand the logic TP-link are using - this should be simple - but seems to be far from it.

I have come across the simple requirement to block junior at bedtime or whatever on numerous forums about many devices and it is apparent that router vendors do not understand what the consumer wants at this time. A simple internet on/off per device by schedule is all we want. If TP-Link just added block or permit all to the parental control schedule we would all be happy - no one want to faff about with granular control.

Schedule totally 'dark blue', with Parental control enabled (check box at top of page) and url blank => child device : no internet connection access.
Schedule totally 'grey' (free), with Parental control enabled (check box at top of page) and url blank => child device : no internet connection access.

To add to loicremy comments, adding a url permits access when the schedule is blue - no access when cleared.

At one point I had "google" as a url only, allowing google searches to work.

A url of "bbc" would not allow www.bbc.co.uk to load but the error said "m.bbc.co.uk" was not accessible so I added a url of "m" and that could be reached.

With only "google" "www" and "m" as url's I managed to search google and open results in a manchester paper so that gives a little hope - but it would be a whole lot simpler if TP-Link would just add "ANY" :mad:
Options
Easy when you know how.....
2014-06-04 23:51:34

gtg wrote

I am trying to understand the logic TP-link are using - this should be simple - but seems to be far from it.

I have come across the simple requirement to block junior at bedtime or whatever on numerous forums about many devices and it is apparent that router vendors do not understand what the consumer wants at this time. A simple internet on/off per device by schedule is all we want. If TP-Link just added block or permit all to the parental control schedule we would all be happy - no one want to faff about with granular control.

To add to loicremy comments, adding a url permits access when the schedule is blue - no access when cleared.

At one point I had "google" as a url only, allowing google searches to work.

A url of "bbc" would not allow www.bbc.co.uk to load but the error said "m.bbc.co.uk" was not accessible so I added a url of "m" and that could be reached.

With only "google" "www" and "m" as url's I managed to search google and open results in a manchester paper so that gives a little hope - but it would be a whole lot simpler if TP-Link would just add "ANY" :mad:

I struggled with this as well. TP link support told me the answer...

Using the firewall settings, not Parental controls

Set up a Wan host with IP address 1.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255,ie, the whole internet(!) then you can set up a rule to block your LAN clients (the kids MAC addresses) from accessing that WAN host during the schedule that you set. if the rule says "deny" the access is denied during the blue blocks in the schedule.

Hope that helps!
Options
no luck
2014-10-18 17:46:18
Parent control does not work for me as well.
Firewall rule setting does nothing . Kids PC has full access all time regardless of all possible manipulations .

Latest firmware on board
Options
2014-10-20 17:12:02

muda wrote

Parent control does not work for me as well.
Firewall rule setting does nothing . Kids PC has full access all time regardless of all possible manipulations .

Latest firmware on board

What's your expectation? Such functions are mostly related to configuration. If you are not sure how to make it work, click here, http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=467.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1897

Replies: 12

Related Articles